Pomegranate

I know nothing about these, never even tasted one, I believe they grow in Calif typically. Locals told me not to bother cause they wouldnt give a decent harvest if any at all.
I bought 4 trees anyway just to see what might happen, this particular tree has had these fruits for a couple of months and it seems they are at the point of not doing anything else.
What am I waiting for before removing these from the tree?
They are very hard and I thought that I should wait for them to soften?

2 Likes

They have a long ways to go and should get bigger than that. I harvest my pomegranates right before the first hard freeze, or maybe a few weeks before that.

This year I have a couple varieties with a couple fruits … which is about all I ever get in the best of years. So not really worth it for me given how they have done for 15 years.

3 Likes

I see, thanks, Ill leave them alone, this same tree has just now started another fruit so the tree is really trying.

2 Likes

I was about to start a new Pomegranate Update thread . . . and then saw this one.
How is everyone doing with their pomegranate ‘trees’? Anyone finding success - especially against the fungal issues?

@manfromyard ? @NoVA ? @Paul ? @Robert ? @GeorgiaGent ? @TheGrog ?
Anyone else?

@1930 Your poms are starting to show some ‘yuck’ on the exterior. I have over 20 pomegranate trees, but even so - am no expert. But, if you are open to using a fungicide . . . with those blotches on the skin . . . I think I’d consider treating them - if even just the fruit. Just a suggestion.

Mine started something like yours - and then after a few more years - they really went to pot. Maybe you can catch it early on.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The splotches on the outside don’t bother me much, it is the dark spot by the end of one that is bad. Some kind of blossom end rot. Something like 1/4th of my fruits get that. I meant to spray them this year but with all the cicadas distracting me I didn’t manage to get it done and it is probably too late now.

@1930 could you tell us what area you are in? Zone 9a should have a long enough growing season, but if you are in an area with high humidity, or wet summers, you will face disease/fungus.

I have several Poms, but unfortunately that freak winter storm from Feb knocked them all down to the ground. Last year i was able to harvest a few, and they were not much bigger than what you have. If the flaps on the end of the fruit are dry, then it is ripe and ready to pick (this has always been my understanding, so if i am wrong, someone please correct me).

If you have never eaten one before, make sure that when you do, don’t go with the slice in half and bang method. It is very wasteful. Here is a link to the proper technique:
The Best Way to Cut Open a Pomegranate | Mad Genius Tips | Food & Wine - YouTube

This is the first year mine even set fruit.

Im in 9A, I think Ill remove the fruit and let the tree use its energy elsewhere. Thanks everyone

You gave me a cutting of your Granada a few years ago it’s now an 8x6 ft Bush it flowered a ton this year just one fruit set though

2 Likes

It looks good! Mine took several years before it produced. I started one from a cutting - I think the same year I sent one to you . . . and it has fruit this summer. Maybe I started it before I sent yours, but I can’t recall.
Thanks for the pic . . . and the report! I’ll be excited to know how the fruit is, when you get some!

1 Like

I removed a few fruits and late infected blossoms in an attempt to stop the spread of the bacteria. The others look good, but the constant rain down here is challenging.

Same here. I took the advice of another forum member and started cutting off the calyxes of lightly infected fruit - and then spraying their remaining ends with either Serenade or Immunox. I’m interested to see if this can save already infected fruit.
We had quite a bit of rain lately - so I removed any resulting cracked fruit, fruit with black calyxes and then sprayed . . . especially concentrating on the buds, flowers and fruit.

I have soooo much more ‘clear’ fruit growing this year, though! It’s looking ( :crossed_fingers:t2:) very promising!

Nikitski Ranni

Sogdiani has fruit for the first time. I think that being surrounded by so many other varieties for pollination has allowed younger trees to set fruit. When I only had two varieties - the trees took years to set fruit.
Below - Purple Heart. (Sharp Velvet) This one grows very upright. It is about 7’ tall. I’ll need a ladder!

4 Likes

Hi Karen,

I have a few pomegranate plants as well, I have a small Parfyanka and two others that they ware gifted to me but don’t know what variety are they.

1 Like

Do you mean ‘Sogdiana’?

Typo. Of course it is Sogdiana. I’ll scold my editor. :wink:

1 Like