Pomegranates for the Seattle area?

how is the flowers on this tree? perhaps we can grow for other reasons than the fruit?

1 Like

They do have the usual showy flowers of a pomegranate, and it actually still had some flowers on it too, but I didn’t take any photos of those.

1 Like

Current stage of the fruit on that tree:

No signs of splitting for any of them despite lots of rain recently.

6 Likes

Do you know the variety? This is amazing.

He said he bought it 20+ years ago as a landscape variety that wasn’t being marketed for fruit quality, so it may not be very tasty even if it does ripen. No one was home the last couple times I knocked on their door, but I’m hoping to get permission to sample them through the fall since he said he never picks them.

1 Like

I got permission to sample them throughout the fall, and went ahead and picked one today. This is definitely inedibly sour and a little bitter. I will wait awhile before trying another one.

5 Likes

Talking about sample, I wanted to taste the fruit on my 2nd tree. The fruit is the biggest this year. There is only 5 on the tree. I even went to the parent tree (unknown variety) to pick the fruit. The tree is from seed. 2 years I got mad because the fruits was so small and taste nothing. Then, I took all the flowers and fruits off the following year. This year it give me big fruits, finally. One of the big fruit turned red and start cracking. I taped the fruit to prevent insects. Now, just hope the taste is there. Should I pick it tomorrow? I’m so tempted.

The pom I’m holding is from the parent. The one on the tree is the child and it’s grown from the seed. Pic was taken 2 weeks ago.

4 Likes

I untapped the pom and crack open to see the seeds. Thought they can use an extra week. 2 days later, the crack was too much for the tape and I picked it. This is my first giant pom of this tree. It does not disappoint. Size is great. Seeds is plump and juicy. It does not stain. Pop in your mouth like grapes. Seeds are very soft and the first pom I don’t mine eating the seeds. Right now, it’s the perfect blend of sweet and sour. It’s one of the easiest pom to separate out the seed from the flesh. I just use my finger and it came out readily. The rest of the pom will be picked late in fall or if it start cracking badly. I wonder how sweet it can still get. It’s a winner in my book.

8 Likes

This fruit looks amazing! How did the pomegranate tree hold up to this week’s sub 20 degree temps and did you do anything to protect it?

The weather does not goes into the 20’s where I live. The lowest is the low 30’s. The trees are about 8 years old and thrive last year. Beside wood chip, I don’t protect it.

1 Like

I think they were confused because this thread refers to the Seattle area, and your profile doesn’t specify what state or country you’re in, so they assumed you are here. Seattle is 9a now, so the “zone 9” in your profile could also refer to here. My yard was down to 14.7°F last week, though!

1 Like