Pomegranates, grow them?

Beautiful city with an interesting climate. I think the pomegranate cultivar Eversweet would be a good match. Here’s a graph of average temperatures and rainfall for Uzes, Jan-Dec.

1 Like

Thanks Richard!

I’ve seen the seeds in the supermarket sold in the produce dept. Are the seeds hard or soft?

Very close, mrsg47, I’m in 10a :slight_smile: Think more like Nice. And I agree with Richard, Eversweet would be an excellent choice, as it is a very lovely specimen plant a well. Here is a description of Eversweet:

Very sweet, virtually seedless. Coast or inland. Grows 8-10 feet as an arching shrub or can be trained as tree or espalier. Large, showy, orange-red flowers and long blooming season extended crops.

1 Like

Fabulous!

1 Like

Well, what you’ve seen are arils – much like the individual tiny berries that make a compound fruit like blackberry.

Ah, they are called arils. Thanks!

1 Like

If you’ve ever opened up a rose hip, you’ve seen arils there also. In fact the pomegranate, rose, and blackberry are all in the same plant family: Rosaceae. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And rosehips are also very high in antioxidants and vitamin C, as well! A very healthy plant family.

pomegranates have their own family Punicaceae, and seems closer to guavas in flower and fruits

I don’t recommend eating them since most people treat their Roses with a 3-in-1 fertilizer, fungicide, systemic pesticide.

1 Like

True, but there are rose cultivars that are grown specifically for their hips, which was what I was actually referring to. But, good point. No one wants to ingest a systemic fungicide. Nasty stuff all fungicides are.

Patty S.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I see they’ve been reclassified to Lythraceae:
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/taxonomydetail.aspx?id=30372

1 Like

Ditto. Flowers are beautiful and attract hummingbirds. Makes lovely juice. Envy those that have them!

Most Rosarians don’t use a 3 in 1 fertilizer. Only amateurs would ever
use something like that. If you’ve ever eaten a true rose hip, you wouldn’t want another one.

1 Like

Hah, yes, they’re sort of bitter, Ray. But, super high in vitamin C. You can make rose hips tea that isn’t too bad (with enough honey). And you’re right, my good friends are Rosarians (Bob & Dona Martin, Bob is the VP of the American Rose Society). They don’t use anything except organic amendments and treatments. Their garden is a sight to behold. They open their home and yard every May, to see all the roses in their spectacular roses in full bloom. Just amazing.

With all the fruit that most of us eat from our gardens, I doubt that many of us need a vitamin C booster!

Hoosierquilt’s mentioning of the Leaf Footed Hoppers is the “red alert” issue here when growing poms near Houston. If they have a population in your area, you will have a significant problem getting the pom fruit to develop w/o the telltale black dots on the fruit. The dots indicate where fungi-hosting syringes from the LFH have stabbed into the fruit to suck out fluid food and spread infection in the process. Below the dots you will find blackened/rotten/fermented/stinky mess where there would otherwise be beautiful, translucent, colorful gems containing healthy, tasty juice. Maybe in Jujubemulberry’s area the fruit are “impervious to insects”. Not these. Not here. Hopefully they are not not in your area. Find out first.

My goal of growing fruit for fresh eating without a lot of overage is different than most folks: The only thing that I would add concerning poms is that most of them ripen around the same time, so it’s easy to get overloaded if you plant even a few varieties. With an early variety like ‘Angel Red’ along with ‘Wonderful’, I get a fair amount of overlap. With ‘Kishu’ mandarin, ‘Bearss’ limes and ‘Pink Lady’ apples popping at the same time, there is plenty of fresh fruit to be had in that harvest window.

1 Like

I made rose hip jam one summer from the gigantic ‘rugosa’ hips that grow by the sea. Ugh, the taste was distinctly iron, with sugar. Threw out all of the jars. Pity the people I gave some of them to.

1 Like