Pomegranates, grow them?

That made me laugh, I have done things like that.

1 Like

Just pushing natures envelope!

1 Like

They are a super fruit and prevent all kinds of diseases and illnesses . They prevent cancer, they prevent diabetic symptoms and attacks, they lower cholesterol levels, prevent heart attacks, lower blood pressure, lower blood sugar and they are medicinal to name a few.

They make green tea look weak on antioxidants and so on. Every part of the plant has great health and medicinal value.

The best way to juice them is with a citrus press or even better “Free Your Pom” on amazon.com sells a Pomegranate Juice Press that also is good for citrus, it’s better than any of the citrus presses.

1 Like

I would probably put some qualifiers in these claims, Alan. Pomegranates aid in many of the above conditions. They are definitely a very healthy choice in anyone’s diet. One serving (1/2 cup) contains about 50% of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin C and pantothenic acid (B5), the latter helps with insulin resistance, but does not necessarily prevent diabetic symptoms. They also contain Vitamin K. Diabetics need to be aware they are high in carbohydrates: a 1/2 cup servings contains 26 grams of carbohydrates and 12 grams of sugar, so that needs to be factored into a diabetic’s daily carb count. They are fairly high in fiber, though (if you eat the seeds), 3.5 grams of fiber, so that helps to slow sugar absorption (to give you a comparison, that’s about twice the amount of fiber as the same amount of apples). That’s why it is always healthier to eat the whole fruit, rather than the juice :slight_smile: They contain anthocyanins (the anti-oxidant) in large amounts. The anti-oxidants may play an effective role in the prevention of heart disease and cancer, but does not, single handedly, prevent either. The U.S. Department of Agriculture ranks pomegranate juice as the fifth strongest antioxidant behind baking chocolate, elderberry, Red Delicious apples and Granny Smith apples based on the oxygen radical absorbance capacity per typical serving. Pomegranate juice has about twice the amount of antioxidants as green tea, but espresso is off the chart. So yes, that does qualify them as a “super food”. Cranberries, blueberries, and blackberries ranked highest among the fruits studied by the USDA. Beans, artichokes and Russet potatoes were tops among the vegetables. Pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts ranked highest in the nut category. Important to include those super foods in your diet, but they are only part of the equation in preventing the above mentioned diseases.

Patty S.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting this Patty. I think there is a misconception that fruit consumption doesn’t negatively effect insulin levels. I love growing fruit but I have to be careful the amount of sugar I eat. I mostly control my type 2 with low carbohydrate eating and exercise (tennis).

4 Likes

Actually pomegranate fruit range in how much sugar they have by variety, by climate and by weather conditions. They range from to sour to eat fresh - to much sweetness for most people to eat, then again the anti diabetic is most pure in the seed oil, the flowers, and the roots anyway.

1 Like

I recently planted three Wonderful pomegranate trees. Looking forward to trying them out.

1 Like

As do all fruits, Alan :slight_smile: By cultivar and by climate. This is an average, but a good one for here in the USA. That’s the best the USDA can do.

1 Like

I forgot to mention the pomegranate peel, the seeds, fruit arils added together have a surprisingly large variety of of antioxdants, each part actually has different ones, some only have been found in pomegranate plants, I am not good at understanding the different natural chemicals in plant related things, yet there appears to be more things in the peel, in seed oil and in the arils that prevent cancer besides thei antioxidants, there are lots of rare chemicals in pomegranate plants that are yet to be discovered too.

Alan, that’s pretty common amongst all fruits and veggies - the peel will contain the bulk of the nutrients. Just don’t know anyone up for eating pomegranate peel, though :smirk:

3 Likes

I highly suggest that you get a flowering pomegranate and learn to make essential oils or extracts from them, the oil in the flowers help to prevent diabetic symptoms and unlike the fruiting kind some of the ornamental ones flower nonstop since they do not put much if any effort in to trying to make fruit.

3 well known flowering varieties than can survive your climate are:

1. “California Sunset” (also available under the names Mme. Legrelle, Legrellei)(Madame Legrelle is a common name for it) Very large double flowers, orange with cream stripes, edible fruits but weak taste. Rare cultivar with double coral flowers bordered and streaked with creamy white. Delicate petals are like tissue paper. Semi-deciduous shrub or small tree from 10 to 15 feet high. Foliage is bright glossy green. Full sun, very drought tolerant. Easy to grow. Cold-hardy Zone 7 to 10.

2. “Double Red” Double Red’s name describes its beautiful carnation like flower, that is bright red in color. Zone 7 to 10.

3. “Nochi Shibari” Zone 7 to 11.

As far as fruiting wonderful is a great choice for someone with diabetics, there are much sweeter ones which you do not want of course, and anything less sweet is not sweet enough for most people as is.

1 Like

Actually someone I have met has a variety that he zests the peel and uses it to make tea, of course the peel would not stay in the tea just steeped in a tea strainer, or a tea ball. Also I am sure that some day there will be pomegranate peel extracts, the peel, the mesocarp, and the endocarp I doubt are edible to people themselves. If the mesocarp or the endocarp gets in to something by accident the taste it’s really bad, worst than cough syrup in my opinion.

You are welcome to believe this but it is false. There is no drug or herbal remedy that prevents cancer.

2 Likes

Best post ever. I am in zone 9 California. I have grown pomegranates for about 25 years. In the early 1990s I became very interested and tried to collect every variety I could find which wasn’t much at the time. From 2005-2010 I watched people go crazy over collecting different varieties. Now I am watching people scale back. The basic problem with pomegranates is that they aren’t a conventional fruit and not great for casual fresh eating. I can walk through my yard and eat dozens of jujubes every day when they’re in season but last year I ate no pomegranates for the entire year. I like the taste but they’re just not great for fresh eating and certainly not for spontaneous eating. In the past we have eaten the most pomegranates by turning them into juice. Fresh pomegranate juice is great, but it’s a lot of work. Bottom line is that I will always want to have a few pomegranate trees but will rarely eat any of them fresh.

I don’t grow any fruit because of the health benefits. Almost all have health benefits.

2 Likes

The soft seeds are not that soft. They’re only soft in comparison to the really hard seeds. Instead of calling pom seeds soft or hard it might be more honest to call them hard and harder. When I eat poms I never really chew the seeds whether soft or hard. I just swallow them. The seeds sold in most grocery stores are from Wonderful, which are hard.

1 Like

There are 3 levels of seed hardness ranging from hard to melt in your mouth. Actually they are easy to juice if you use a citrus press or a pomegranate press like this https://www.amazon.com/Pomegranate-Juice-Press-Professional-Squeezer/dp/B00HZVS25C%3FSubscriptionId%3D0ENGV10E9K9QDNSJ5C82%26tag%3Dflatwave-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00HZVS25C

These sort of things is what they use in the middle east to juice pomegranates at the juicing stands

1 Like

Watch these juicers in action

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzbVlJr78TA
  2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_-lVjbd2e0
  3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBn5fLOLaPw
  4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpK40WJRHjE
  5. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR29LsEY9iI

Thank you!

In that first video he’s pressing way to hard, although the harder you press the more nutrients, LOL

I use this sort of press which applies way less pressure and I think that amount of pressure is just right http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB12GpgHVXXXXc_XXXXq6xXFXXXG/HOT-Manual-Hand-Lemon-Squeezer-Orange-Citrus-Press-Juice-Fruit-Lime-Kitchen.jpg I can not justify buying something expensive for a few pomegranates a year that we buy, yet when my plants are producing I will get a real pomegranate/citrus press. Less work and faster.

He does not know how to open the pomegranates with the least mess, scoring the peel and then pulling apart.

You are welcome.