Pomegranates, grow them?

I used to have one of the cheaper presses and it was worthless. I am not interested in spending the money on a commercial type press just to have an occasional glass of pom juice in the summer. I can’t think of any fruit where I would feel justified in spending $150 just to be able to conveniently eat it, which is just another disadvantage of pomegranates. I’ve never eaten any pom with seeds that melted in my mouth, but I’ve only tried 40-50 different varieties.

[quote=“castanea, post:61, topic:7970”]
I’ve never eaten any pom with seeds that melted in my mouth, but I’ve only tried 40-50 different varieties.
[/quote]Most of them do not have seeds soft enough to melt in the mouth and there are over 900 varieties of pomegranate in the world.

Well one pomegranate bush can have over 100 pomegranates a year in the right climate if it’s a high enough production bush and it’s old enough. That is a lot of glasses. The best pomegranates for juicing are the thinest peel ones just like is true of oranges for juicing. Like in Istanbul whenever pomegranate juice is made at one of their juicing stands the skin is thinner than the average pomegranate peel, oh and the thinner the pomegranate mesocarp the better for juicing, in Istanbul they juice pomegranates with thinner than normal mesocarps. A lot of people do not realize that like oranges their are juicing pomegranates too. Juicing pomegranate varieties are always high production.

2 Likes

Yes. Eversweet is one of the latter.

That’s very individual. Most people aren’t used to eating pomegranates, but my wife, for example, can finish a large pomegranate in 5 minutes and can easily eat dozen or more a day. I have a bit of OCD about cleaning the arils really well, so it takes me longer, but I can also easily eat 3-4 poms a day. We both prefer soft-seeded varieties for fresh eating — Vkusnyi, Desertnyi, Myatadzhy and Parfianka are among our favorites.

2 Likes

Many countries in Europe they eat lots of pomegranates, and the hard seeded ones many of them they swallow the seeds after eating the Aril part

Impress your friends!

https://youtu.be/iHRHobw3CM4

Works just like one of those automatic orange juicers but looks to be quite a bit more cleanup…

2 Likes

Yes.it’s individual but most individuals don’t consider them to be very great for casual eating. I know hundreds of fruit aficionados and don’t know more than a couple that eat more than a few poms each year.

My kiddo absolutely loves Pomegranates. I peel about 5-6 in one go and that lasts a day or two just for her!

1 Like

Me I will juice hundreds of pomegranates a year with a professional pomegranate press, maybe even 600 something a year, I’d use that for juice, making jam, pie filling and so on, the melt in the mouth soft ones would be for eating. coating with chocolate and so on.

Also some varieties of pomegranates the Arils come loose much easier than others, that’s one reason why the pomegranate community that is forming is very important, the varieties need to be organized much better, and understood much better. Oh and the information learned about the varieties need to be shared. If people have great information and do not share the information what is the point of that.