Pomegranates in zone 7

Have your flowered or fruited yet?

Crimea is part of the “Turkistan” region which includes a number of the “istan” countries and goes into Russia.

1 Like

Isn’t the “Crimea” people know about belongs to Ukraine but Russia just annexed it?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Yes, same one. It has a fascinating history if you are interested in that sort of thing at all. For a variety of reasons it is one of the world’s frequent flashpoints.

I have actually been to the Nikitsky gardens but I didn’t know at the time about their involvement in fruit breeding.

2 Likes

We got our first one last year, see here:

I will try to take a few pictures of what it looks like right now. It has more fruit this year, maybe 5-6 but I haven’t counted.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that it tasted good.

You stated that you picked it in Oct. When in Oct, please? If it’s early Oct, then, It would have a chance here.

1 Like

That post was from 17 Oct and I said I picked it a couple days earlier, so 15th maybe?

With just one fruit I don’t know how typical that would be and it is possible I could have picked it earlier. I remember watching it and watching it not wanting to pick it too early.

2 Likes

I’ll wait to hear about your picking date this year. Thanks.

1 Like

Great info! Yes please keep us updated, this may be a good cold hardy selection you have there!

Oh my… Crimea is thousands of miles away from the Turkestan region. Nikitski garden is a plant breeding research institution, and they used the plant material originally from Turkmenistan for their work, it’s as simple as that.

3 Likes

Yes Nikitski Ranni is an early one. Others I found that stated they were early are
Granada as mentioned
Kaim-anor
Sumbar
and Sverkhranniy

I really do not know much about them?

One called “Sweet” is said to be good in cold climates as it’s good even when not fully ripe.

I’m looking for cuttings of all of these early types, if you can help, please let me know.

1 Like

Another very popular varieties grown in Crimea and Southern Ukraine are Guleysha Rose from Azerbaijan and Ak-Dona bred in Nikita. Both are early and quite hardy.

2 Likes

I’ll add those to my list. Thanks for the info.

Oh my yes I was getting the Black Sea mixed up with the Caspian Sea!! :slight_smile: Ive used google earth in the region a bit exploring areas of interest such as Kazakhstan and Siberia but I never have been to central Asia… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happens to the best of us! :slight_smile: I spent some time in Crimea a long time ago, it has some beautiful locations on the Black Sea coast. Would not go now since it’s occupied by Russia. Will be swimming in the Caspian Sea in September, my fourth visit to Baku and first in the last ten years.

3 Likes

Oh ok nice!! Yeah there are some interesting areas over there… You should share some of your adventures on here when you return! Yeah I would love to go exploring centeal asia on a search for hardy kaki, pomegranite, and pistachio! Anything in Kazakhstan should thrive in Kansas!!

3 Likes

I’ve never been to Central Asia or Kazakhstan either. Had a chance to go to Astana a couple of years ago, but it was in November, so I declined, didn’t want to experience the Kazakh steppe at that time of year. A friend of mine took a trip through Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and Kirghistan last year, and enjoyed it very much. People are very friendly and the government bureaucracies have shifted in the recent years towards a friendly attitude to tourists. Although, some areas on the Afghan border still can be dangerous at times. Uzbek melons are famous, they ripen in August.

4 Likes

Wow that is nice!! Well I hope you enjoy your Black sea trip and if you find a new fruit let us know!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My Salavatski in zone 7A/B, spent 2 years in a pot and is in-ground for another 3 now (lowest temp was in 2016/2017 around 4F).
No major diebacks. The bush is getting large, about chest height but only 1 fruit.

10 Likes