Pomegranates in zone 7

Drew,
I read it takes several months for a pome fruit to mature. How you could have enough time for it to ripen.

By choosing early ripening types. Some ripen in August. Iā€™m growing the others for fun. I will throw them out or sell plants from them. I still have about 90 days of season left. The lakes buffer us, I could have longer. I could also put them under lights like I do my orange trees. I donā€™t think it will be an issue. In containers they fruit earlier. Why I get about 300-500 figs a year.

2 Likes

@drew51, this is my Hyrdanar X Goulosha in a pot with 2 fruit growing. I picked a few split or diseased fruit off and hope I get one of these to maturity.

The Salavatski getting a little out of control by the sidewalk. Also has several good fruit on it, but Iā€™ve already pulled off at least six off that were suffering from the mildew/rot that starts on the blossom end. Hope springs eternal!

9 Likes

Now Drew,
What are the early ripening varieties that are also taste good. Any?

@zendog hopefully you will find one that works well.
@mamuang Granada is one. Iā€™m out of town and donā€™t have my references handy. Iā€™ll post more early ripening types when I get home.
I donā€™t have high expectations. All of mine were cuttings from others. I may end up culling them. I wanted to try them since they do well in my garage in winter. Many other plants do not. Worth trying. At least for a bit.

3 Likes

My only experience with growing Poms is Nikitski Ranni and it was able to ripen in Zone 7a. Its name means early.

For some reason I see a lot of nurseries describing it as from Turkmenistan (where perhaps all Poms originated) but this variety is certainly from the Nikitsky botanical gardens in Crimeaā€¦ it is in the name.

http://fruitsandgardening.blogspot.com/2014/12/turkmen-and-russian-pomegranates.html

Same place we get the Nikita Pineapple Guava and Nikitaā€™s Gift Persimmon.

https://onegreenworld.com/product/nikita-2/

https://onegreenworld.com/product/nikitas-gift-2/

3 Likes

Have your flowered or fruited yet?

Crimea is part of the ā€œTurkistanā€ region which includes a number of the ā€œistanā€ countries and goes into Russia.

1 Like

Isnā€™t the ā€œCrimeaā€ people know about belongs to Ukraine but Russia just annexed it?

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Yes, same one. It has a fascinating history if you are interested in that sort of thing at all. For a variety of reasons it is one of the worldā€™s frequent flashpoints.

I have actually been to the Nikitsky gardens but I didnā€™t know at the time about their involvement in fruit breeding.

2 Likes

We got our first one last year, see here:

I will try to take a few pictures of what it looks like right now. It has more fruit this year, maybe 5-6 but I havenā€™t counted.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that it tasted good.

You stated that you picked it in Oct. When in Oct, please? If itā€™s early Oct, then, It would have a chance here.

1 Like

That post was from 17 Oct and I said I picked it a couple days earlier, so 15th maybe?

With just one fruit I donā€™t know how typical that would be and it is possible I could have picked it earlier. I remember watching it and watching it not wanting to pick it too early.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll wait to hear about your picking date this year. Thanks.

1 Like

Great info! Yes please keep us updated, this may be a good cold hardy selection you have there!

Oh myā€¦ Crimea is thousands of miles away from the Turkestan region. Nikitski garden is a plant breeding research institution, and they used the plant material originally from Turkmenistan for their work, itā€™s as simple as that.

3 Likes

Yes Nikitski Ranni is an early one. Others I found that stated they were early are
Granada as mentioned
Kaim-anor
Sumbar
and Sverkhranniy

I really do not know much about them?

One called ā€œSweetā€ is said to be good in cold climates as itā€™s good even when not fully ripe.

Iā€™m looking for cuttings of all of these early types, if you can help, please let me know.

1 Like

Another very popular varieties grown in Crimea and Southern Ukraine are Guleysha Rose from Azerbaijan and Ak-Dona bred in Nikita. Both are early and quite hardy.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll add those to my list. Thanks for the info.