Pomelos

Our fave citrus. We prefer the yellow-pulped variety due to the firm segments could eat like popcorn. Has a sweet pleasant flavor with no bitter after-taste whatsoever. The pink one is not too firm, but pretty good as complement to the other.

18 Likes

What varieties are you growing? Is the pear shaped one a pomallo too?

2 Likes

the pear-shaped one is often referred to as the ‘real’ pomelo, and has the dryish pulp that we love so much.
incidentally, those were store-bought(how we wish we could grow them here in vegas!) Seldom available, and if ever, only at asian stores where we’re at

5 Likes

I loved this post with tasting notes on varieties that can be grown in California. Inspired us to plant an oro blanco (Pummelo grapefruit hybrid)!

3 Likes

good cultivars of pummelo are worth growing if you live in mild-weather california. A good pomelo tree can be a gold mine – the pear-shaped pomelo i featured above costs 8$ apiece. Despite the prohibitive price, totally worth every penny in my opinion!

2 Likes

A Thai variety. They are sold for about $2.50-4.00 per fruit. It weighs about 2- 2.5 kilos each. Sweet and refreshing. Texture is more firm and not as juicy as grapefruit.

1 Like

5 Likes

Love pomelo. Totally worth the 10-15 minutes it takes to peel. Lol

3 Likes

I grew Chandler in my greenhouse for maybe 6 yrs. It was very productive and the fruits were large maybe 1.5-2 lbs. I liked it better than grapefruit but hey it’s still just citrus. The tree was overly vigorous and even in a 16ft greenhouse took some effort to keep under control. I took it out to grow other things.

2 Likes

nice @mamuang ! Incidentally, many of the excellent pomelos have tried in the tropics were unnamed. It is only when they are released here do they get christened fancy names. And btw, some of the best ones are also the ugliest and most warty ones. I could surmise the culprit who smuggled pomelo budwood to cali brought in unnamed and super-ugly varieties…

peeling pomelos(and jackfruit) take “delayed gratification” to the highest level :grin:
actually think that pomelos, also spelled pummelo, were so-named as quite likely the person dealing with it ends up pummeling the obstinate fruit

4 Likes

Agreed. These ugly pomeloes have about an inch thick pith. The warts-and-all is only skin deep.

Candied rind/peel is quite common esp. among Chinese ethnic. I personally do not like it (but I’m picky).

2 Likes

Pomelo is a favourite gift when visiting friends and relatives around Chinese New Year, but it is also appreciated at other times of the year. Unless we have a big group and are eating the whole fruit in one sitting, I tend to cut off the peel/rind a couple sections at a time, and pull out each section as we eat. That way the fruit and rind stays moist, instead of drying out.

4 Likes

I will have Sarawak, Hirado Buthan and Oro Blanco and i have Ugly and valentine seedlings too… :blush:

2 Likes

Just picked a few pomelo’s and a bunch of mandarins. The Pomelo’s were excellent, love them, thin skin, overly juicy, has a somewhat mandarin taste, hard to beat.

My mandarins, Lee/Nova, Yosemite, Tahoe, Page, Shasta, Dreamnavel(orange) and a few others will be picked till January.
Valentines should be picked around Valentine Day. Will leave some till that day, maybe.

7 Likes

That’s great! Congratulations! What variety are your pomelos?

2 Likes

Thong Dee and Valentine, they both taste about the same, one got some seeds and the other don’t.

5 Likes

Thank’s! :slightly_smiling_face:

love it!

Costco has a bag of 5 pomelos for $11.

They are medium sized, pink flesh and not very sweet. If you like sweet and sour taste, you probably like them. I prefer sweeter pomelos with a bit of tartness in it.

5 Likes

Old thread, I know.

We just ate our first pomelo today. Not sure how I’ve lived this long and never eaten one before. We have really been missing out. Fantastic. I’m guessing we’ll never find them at home in central MN, but I will certainly look.

4 Likes