Pommelo 101

Pommelo popcorn at 9$ apiece(inside fancy bag). We call it pommelo popcorn because it is the type which has fruit vesicles that can be eaten like popcorn. May use the limes as size reference

The best pommelo cultivars have a matte, dry-looking rind. The glossy ones are usually sold at half the price of the matte pommelos. Glossy-rind pommelos generally have a bitter after taste-- more like common grapefruits. The fruit vesicles of glossy-rind pommelos are also like common grapefruits-- more juicy but also more delicate and are more likely to burst and get drippy. Btw, grapefruit cultivars are said to be descendants of pommelos.

although pricey, it makes up for having a thin rind, relative to edible portion

this is what makes pommelos different from most other citrus. The segments tend to burst at the seams when fruit is fully mature, splitting them open(without damaging the vesicles)

compared to other citrus, entire segments of popcorn pommelo are easily peeled, like loaves of bread. You could either bite pieces off of this sweet loaf or subdivide into smaller pieces into a bowl and eat like it was the theater snack. Unlike the theater snack which is loaded with sodium, the citrus counterpart is loaded with bp-lowering potassium

15 Likes

I’d never had a pomelo until just a couple weeks ago.

I was at the fruit market and grabbed one as well as a melogold citrus. The pomelo was the better of the two. I didn’t find it as easy to take it apart as you show, though.

I also took 3 days to eat the whole thing.

Scott

2 Likes

you’re right, it does take some patience and technique to take apart. It is just that they are easier to do compared to, say, a melogold, since with melogold the segment-wraps are clingy and the vesicles are bursty, so can be more messy if isolating the vesicles. Of course the segment-wrap is edible but adds to the bitter after-taste so prefer to isolate the vesicles.

could easily eat an entire pommelo in one day. If gluttony is a mortal sin, lol. I am not on statin medication btw :wink:

2 Likes

Good quality pomelos are not only sweet and juicy, they are easily separated into sections. @jujubemulberry has correct terms for those things :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I can eat the whole thing in one sitting.

5 Likes

Love pink pommelos! You also have bragging rights re: technique mastery for pommelo peeling and dissection :wink:

btw, i prefer the pink variety the most. To me it has the most pleasing flavor. My folks like the yellowish ones better.

2 Likes

Raf,
I have had excellent, sweet, juicy pomelos in all colors so I like them all. I think we are at the mercy of growers re. when they pick their fruit to sell. Good pomelos can turn bad when they are picked too early.

Here was the very pink one from Costco a few years ago.

5 Likes

makes my mouth water. I guess pommelos are more pink at the other side, haha

pommelo is to citrus as jackfruit is to figs. Usually the better-tasting species in a family are those with smaller fruits. But pommelos seem to be have better eating qualities than its smaller-fruited cousins, just as jackfruit is way more delicious than figs.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with mine, haven’t find one of my wife’s friends that don’t like’m. The 2 varieties I grow, Valentine and Thong Dee are tops in my book, I actually like them better than most mandarins.

5 Likes

Well look at those treasures!
when i grow up-- i wanna be just like you :wink:

1 Like

Bob,
Home grown pomelos! Amazing!!!

3 Likes