Potato seedling

Hi fellow fruit lovers,
Ten years ago, when i was a young man getting into to love of gardening, i planted few left over potatoes on a remote patch in my moms garden, and never digged them up. No clue what varietys i planted. it seeded almost every year and probably crossed numerous times. Out of interest, every year i would digg a feww up, they got smaller every year. The one year my mom made an effort to clean the patch up, destroying everything(she thought), a little remained, now, for the last to years, im digging actually great potatoes, and the most briliant thing of its it that out of i gues 8 plants, six of them produce creamy purple potatoes. Im 10000% sure i didnt put those in the ground, so im guessing it got polinated somehow by a purple one. I took the seeds last summer and am trying to grow them( anyone good tips on germinating them? I guess high humidity which i dont have, i currently got one seedling out of it wich im growing in my 50 gallon balcony bed. Im intending to post the progress of this seedling here and in few months find out if it produces the purple taters again. Cheers

1 Like

I had one purple potato seed I planted out with a mix of other fingerlings and generic potatoes from the kitchen in the pot next to them. The sprout from the Purple potato came up dark black purple.

The girls picked them out. Devanverkciderin brand or something. Very cheap. But their bag or website do not say what the varieties are, But they are growing well.

I know the girls are going to dig these up. But I might buy a couple more bags and let them go feral to see what happens.

1 Like

She doesnt grow well, not enough hours of sun yet on the balcony so the plant it stretching and stretching, well toro it appears my stem is somewhat the same colour as the potato im hoping it produces, a creamy purple stem.

2 Likes

I will get a picture today. The purple one is a dark purple on everything; medium purple might be more correct.