Potted citrus weathering the Virginia winter storm

My Meyer Lemon and Owari Satsuma before I covered them for the winter storm. These are tough trees!

3 Likes

Looks like tough love to me! I wouldn’t have the courage to leave my babies out like that. Do you bring them inside during prolonged freezes?

1 Like

Looks like they are left to die like the other pots with dead little trees.

I covered them shortly after and in combination with the lights they look perfectly fine now. I haven’t covered at all this winter until then.

1 Like

Those are dormant!

1 Like

I have about 30 citrus trees growing, they will never see temps below 36*. Citrus growing in a hostile environment should be treated a little better. Inground trees growing in zone 8a might be able to handle colder temps. There are many members living in Georgia having success with inground tree’s there.
I am in zone 7a, temps in the high thirties in they go in a warmer place(growroom) for the next 3 months. I don’t take unnecessary chances with them.

1 Like

I would put them in a protected area where it stays above freezing if possible. Your cover and lights may not be enough if you have prolonged freezing temps. Plus, those are very young trees.

1 Like

While that may be wise, I feel different. I think it is pretty amazing they can adapt as much as they do. I protect them when it is necessary, and not any more than I need to. For example, I covered them shortly after this picture, and after uncovering today they are a beautiful green. Now if I had fruit on them, this would be a different story! I don’t expect these to even attempt putting on flowers any time soon, I am focused on their growth (which obviously won’t come until Spring). My other citrus that have fruit, such as my kumquats are inside way before those kinds of conditions. Additionally, as I mentioned the rest of the trees around them are deciduous and very much alive. I thought that one would go without say. I can assure you they will bloom beautifully :grin: .

Yes, when it gets colder I will take more precautions! Thanks for the advice.

1 Like