Pretty much done w/ wooden handled shovels

Built little vernal ponds with my wolverine spade in the uplands, helps create more wildlife habitat and lets moisture slowly soak in, instead of running off.

2 Likes

The old stuff would last even outside. I found an aluminum gutter in my shed from the 70’s. It’s 3 times, maybe 4 times thicker than the material use today. Even the shovels themselves are thinner these days.

We used American Indians here to do the grunt work. That’s what I remember as a kid.
My dad did go in the backyard, he took care of the fruit trees. In suburbia too. We only hired the Indians for major projects, house foundations, Waterline installations, septic tank installation etc.
My family rented houses out as a side income. So we always had a lot of work to do on those houses.The properties were sold by the time I took over our estate. That was a strange feeling, becoming the head of my family. I sure miss my parents, I was lucky I had great parents.
One tradition I revived was adding fruit trees again. When we moved to Sterling Heights, my dad only planted grape vines.One is still here, about 40 years old. Well now the yard is filled with all kinds of fruit!

1 Like

Took a shovel back to Lowes today for a full refund. The Lowes brand has a lifetime warranty. If you try to pry up a big rock with this brand they call “Kobalt” and break the handle its OK.