Problem with figs again

Looks like my inground figtrees going to get clobbered again. After a unusual fall/ winter start, high sixties and seventies it’s going to dip in the lower teens.
They are not even ready for winter, still has green tip.
Container figs will be brought in the garage today for the first time, usely bring them in when night temps are in the lower twenties. Got plenty of container figtrees, not worry all that much.Get plenty to munch on from them.

4 Likes

In Zone 7, your figs really need to be covered. If it has been warm, your ground temperature is probably high, maybe 40-50? An airtight, insulating cover that is open to the ground (e.g., an inverted barrel) would keep your trees cool on warm days and warm on cold nights.

Z7 equates to average winter minimum temperatures ~0 F, which will kill any unprotected fig tree to the soil line, no matter how dormant it is. Growers who cover their trees as described measure a warming benefit of 15-20 degrees F. So the outside air is 0 F, the ground is maybe 30 F, the inside air is ~15-20 F.

1 Like

With polar Vortex now more common might pull out all inground figs. Every year the bushes getting bigger. Pulled one half of my ingrounds out last spring. Use to make preserves till last year. My container ones supplied us more than needed, plus we have store close by that sells preserves only, really good stuff and reasonable. Lately we were buying apples from Walmart, for me they were pretty good, I was really surprised. Last one I tried was Juicy, was pretty good and juicy.

7 Likes

Many hobbyist growers are going the other way, thinking that global warming will make the environment in the northern U.S. more amenable to figs. The past two winter lows here (borderline 6/7) were ~ 15 F and 10 F. This year so far it has yet to get colder than 20 F. But volatility of temperatures is a very valid concern. In Z7, some winter protection can make all the difference.

2 Likes

Apples from Walmart (or any supermarket) are really a gamble. If what the store gets were picked at the right time, they will be good, but if they are picked early, they usually are disappointing. I am growing my own apples to hopefully avoid that. Really sad to hear that you are looking to pull figs out of the ground. I just don’t have the space to add more potted plants to my collection, so if winters keep getting colder, the figs will just be decorative.

2 Likes

Bob, how big are your fig containers? They look very nice!

2 Likes

Amy from years ago? It’s about time you showed up again, miss our friends. Don’t know where they hang out. I hope this is YOU. Those containers are 15 gl, squat. HD, with large lips to lift. Also have others, 15 gl containers, made in Italy, very nice more to your liking with large handles.

4 Likes

Loll Bob, yes it’s that Amy! How are you my dear friend? I don’t know where all our friends are anymore they all disappeared! I keep looking for Jane and Brian but they just vanished! I just hope that they are safe and healthy!
I am not surprised to see your huge fig trees knowing that you have such a green thumb. Bob, they must give you quite a harvest each year! What are you doing with all the fruits? Figs, persimmons and pawpaws!! Your neighbors must love you!
Believe it or not, I am extending my fig collections because I am tired to spend money on a box of figs that are not ripe enough.
I bought a couple of varieties but I am still looking for Smith which you recommended. I thought if buying some cheap 5 gallons buckets but yours look very good! Oh god! 15 gallons? You must be the cousin of Hulk to be able to lift that!!

2 Likes

Amy, you can make your soil(media) as light as you want, use a good amount of perlite, Turface, cheap garden soil with a lot of small pinebark. When you buy a 15 gl container you don’t have to fill it to the top. As the tree get bigger you can raise the volume. Your tree’s in small containers need to be root pruned often. I have mentioned this before, figs growing in small containers is ok if they have larger drain holes and let the roots out to grow in mulch surrounding the containers and cut the roots of in the fall to bring them in.
If you live in a colder zone, me in zone 7a, I bring mine in the garage for the winter. I don’t take a chance with my valuable varieties. Yes cordon growing is excellent too but 25 below too risky!
For me small containers are just great for winter storage. Some of my new 2021 trees grew to 8 feet tall by the end of last fall with smaller containers.
Glad you are here, members here are very great and helpful, you will find out.

3 Likes

Yes, I will try that this summer. I think that my mistake was that I am not finding my fig trees enough. I just watch a video on YouTube suggesting to fertilize with 15-30-15. I have a Violet de Bordeaux is my most productive tree.

1 Like

Amy, what zone are you in? Have you considered using a cordon system just above ground level and offering winter protection?

1 Like

Disc4tw, I live in Montreal, Canada and it feels like I live in the Great North some time loll. Last night, it was -25F!
I know that some people succeed to grow fig trees in ground here by burying them for winter. My trees are still small so I think that I will grow them in containers for a little while.

2 Likes

Here are some pictures of part of my fig group. One is figtrees being pruned while being repotted to lighter medium, coming of the assembly line, all done for production in 2022.
The next one, this figtree transplanted in the spring, grew a full year, by November it grew to 8 feet tall, outside roots held the tree from toppling from strong winds.

2 Likes

It was - 3 F this morning in Pittsburgh! I bet that with the proper protection and a blanket of snow you could get away with in ground cordons. The benefit there is that you will want to prune yearly to maintain form and can start cuttings if the original dies.

1 Like

You are right Disc4tw, I saw some families here protecting their in ground fig trees by burying the branches or building a shelter. I prefer to put mines in containers so I can wake them up earlier in mu greenhouse and have more chance to get them ripe before winter!
I just enter the wonderful world of figs and wow… so many varieties to choose from!

2 Likes

Was surprised how many roots found there way thru smaller drainage holes in pots in just one growing season.

4 Likes

You know Bob, instead of yanking all of them out, why not just mulch a few and peg them down to grow horizontally. Then in fall insulate them well with your leaves and cover them with a large tarp while dormant, then uncover them in the spring as growing season arrives. Figs are so very adaptable that they can be grown horizontally as long as they are getting full sun! Easy to grow and Pick!
Just a thought! May be worth experimenting before yanking all!
Dennis
Kent, wa