Problems with g890 apple trees

I have had a few trees damage by voles in my nursery quite a few years ago in soil that was soft because of high well rotted manure contant, And there was a lot of damage some you could see and a lot of damage below ground but it was easy to tell something was wrong once very vigorous trees enterprise m111 stop growing. My g890 trees are all making excellant growth in manure enrich soil and heavy wood chip mulch

1 Like

Rick; seeing you planted Sundance in '15, I hasten to ask how that cv. has done for you. My limited positive experience with PRI apples prompted purchase of a whip of Sundance.

Am very curious to see if it blooms just before or just after GoldRush. The PRI report on Sundance indicated bloom just after GoldRush. At least one other website places its bloom as a few days before. I have a spot to fill in the yard near the two triploid apples in ground: Claygate & yet-to-be-confirmed Orléans Reinette. GoldRush also stands near, but another pollen source for the bees to distribute would be a boon.
As for free standing Gen890, my yard is largely protected by a split level house to the SW, which is the prevailing wind direction, and my enormous two-story house. My house actually stands on one property line, so there is little wind tunnel action between houses. Everything stands alone here: on Gen30, 890, EMLA26 or Bud118. The only leaning graftling leans into the wind & is growing at a snail’s pace. Time will tell.