Problems with Indoor Potted Citrus: Can my Kalamansi (aka Calamondin) be Saved?

I have a Kalamansi (aka Calamondin) in a 20" planter that’s approximately 10 years old. Considering I’ve had this plant for over a decade, I know embarrassingly little about how to care for it. Every year, I put it outside for the summer, and then bring it back inside in the Fall. I fertilize every 6 months with osmocote, and I root-prune or add potting mix every two-ish years. That’s about it.

This year, when I brought it back inside for the Fall (just before Halloween), I noticed that a large portion of the bark was diseased. There was what appeared to be almost an abscess in the bark, and a large portion of bark around the abscess was black and dead. So, I cut away as much of the black/dead bark as I could, and then used hydrogen peroxide on the wound. But, I have no idea if I did the right thing or not, because the wound is really big, and I’m nervous that I just doomed my Kalamansi.

Here are some pictures of my Kalamansi, post-surgery (FYI, a bunch of leaves dropped after I brought it inside, but that happens every year, so I’m not too worried about that):

What should I do next?

1. Nothing, cause I’ve already done enough, and the plant needs time to rejuvenate?
  2. Cut the whole thing off below the wound, and let new shoots and branches grow up from the stub?
  3. Try to bridge-graft the wound? (In which case, when is the best timing for that, and can I just use some of the green branches stripped of leaves for the scion?)
  4. Just buy a new Kalamansi, cause this one’s doomed?

Any advise or expertise would be much appreciated!

i say let it be now. there’s enough bark left it should recover.

3 Likes