Propagating Carmine Jewel Cherries

I’m planning on blackberries and raspberries as they are so easy to grow. found a few blackberry cultivars that grow up here but need to evaluate how productive they really are before committing. tried high tunnel over prime ark freedom blackberries in a small scale high tunnel. still don’t have a long enough season for them to ripen and canes freeze to the ground where they aren’t protected. maybe a bigger operation would be more successful. sad the small fruit like raspberries and blackberries that are sold in the stores here come from mexico! id like to change that.

1 Like

trying a new propagation technique/device. 5 gallon tote with about 4 inches of water on bottom. jars with cuttings in them with water in the jars. each quart jar is about half full or RO water has its own bubbling stone and different levels of hormone + nutrients, phed to about 5.5. there is a aquarium heater in the water in bottom of tote keeping that water at 70f. I’ve got mostly carmine jewel in there but also a few haskap and grape cuttings for trial purposes. this is being kept in my heated garage at about 38f. started today.

4 Likes

trying aeroponic with cj and juliet hardwood cuttings that were callused at 72f in cold garage on heating mat for 2 weeks. ro water in aero unit with jacks professional nutes at 300ppm and ph to 5.8. timer set to run 15 on and 30 off. these are at room temp.

6 Likes

Looks promising, keep us posted.

Looks like you will soon have roots to me

hopefully. i haven’t had much luck with hardwood cuttings previously…

1 Like

This big Ca. site is interesting. They ship to the US also. They sell these cherry bushes too. For US shipping the order has to be over $200, but their bushes are only like $10. for a bundle of four! They also store them and ship them frozen which surprised me. I was going to call them and see if they can ship Cupid but I don’t need that many bushes. They charge like $15 for the customs inspection too. My point here though is that they store them all in a huge building frozen, and ship frozen. Plus some of you might be interested in buying these. It would be interesting if they would ship cupid bushes to the US. They say US purchasers are interested in the sour cherries with s link to the U of S bushes… I’m waiting to see if the big box stores sell Cupid just over the border. It might be easier to just drive a couple hours round trip and get some.
https://treetime.ca/how-to-order.php?linkid=rightCol
https://treetime.ca/article.php?artid=32&artcatid=3
https://treetime.ca/productsList.php?pcid=260&tagid=7&linkid=description
Just a heads up my cart is on these links with $123.88 of stuff you might want to delete before building a cart. Plus US orders need to be over the phone. They have lots of plants Haskaps and so on too.

2 Likes

TheDerek did your seedlings end up making it? Im thinking about growing some out for a long hedge but wonder what the plants themselves will end up looking like, hoping they will be uniform in size. I know the fruit would probably vary widely, but it would be interesting to try now that i have the space.

2 Likes

everything here is dormant still. i expect they should b fine though.

You could always grow them out and change varieties by grafting them over.

Good point. They should be easy to graft onto when small yet

Saw some CJ at Walmart yesterday . Nice large ones in pots . As big as mine that have been in the ground 2 years .

4 Likes

How are your cuttings doing?

1 Like

ground still to cold to know, got my fingers crossed tho!

1 Like

I thought you started some this year.
trying aeroponic with cj and juliet hardwood cuttings that were callused at 72f in cold garage on heating mat for 2 weeks. ro water in aero unit with jacks professional nutes at 300ppm and ph to 5.8. timer set to run 15 on and 30 off. these are at room temp.

1 Like

looks like most of my cj cutting that were planted in my garden last fall survived. starting to see some green.

2 Likes

yup, those died, havent had much luck with CJ hardwood, but Ill try again next year I suppose… Currants and willows and aronia are doing well in aero tho…

2 Likes

So soon everyone in the country who likes fruit will have one😄.

2 Likes

I had to transplant my Romeo in January, and there was part of a big root about a ft deep left in the soil. I dug it out and potted it up, leaving about 3/4 inch of the root above the soil. I was going to graft on it later.

That part sprouted leaves! It’s making its own new Romeo quite easily, lol.

4 Likes

i had some luck with carmine jewel root cuttings a couple years ago also.

1 Like