Propagating Fig Cuttings

Spring finally arrives tomorrow. It’s GO time!

1 Like

The cuttings I rooted in late December/January are outside now while it’s above freezing. Trying to acclimate them. I burned the leaves a touch, always in a hurry!

Here from left to right, Sao Miguel Roxo, Smith, and Bourjasotte Grise

The one on the right seems to have FMV, which many I have, have it. But it’s strange because it is supposed to be an heirloom from Monroe MI brought back from Italy, a Mt Etna type. Never seen one with FMV before. It’s called Antonelli Unk after the guy who brought it here. On the far left are two seedlings of Morus nigra (in one pot) that sprouted for me.

Here is Salce, it comes from the Molise Region of Italy. The fig is yellow with reddish blush that often covers the entire fruit. Excellent tasting variety according to Mario who brought it back from Italy. He has been growing it for a long time in Kentucky. It is his favorite fig. I guess being yellow, it is a green fig, not a dark fig.
The name Salce is pronounced Sawl-Chay.

This is an extra, trade for other rooted cutting or 15 bucks for the plant, and 15 for postage
Trades have priority. Otherwise it’s going up on Figbids in a week. I want to hold for 2 weeks to acclimate, make it tougher for the mailing.

2 Likes

Really nice looking Smith.

FMV spots on leaves and fruit have rings around their borders. Those spots look like they are from fig bud mites, easy to confirm with a microscope, spray them all because they are easy to spread.

OK, will do! It does look different than other known infected trees.

Yes, I got it from Zone5figger on Ourfigs. He also sent Genovese Nero AF, and both rooted really quickly. I sent him about 30 Florea cuttings, he needed to start a bunch of plants. My Florea plant was big, is a nub afterward. Which is fine, i planted it in ground and covered what was left.
This photo was taken March 16th. Some other rooted cuttings.

6 Likes

Drew or anyone: do you have ‘White Triana’ and would you comment on its flavor? Good, very good, excellent. Any other comments appreciated, too.

And how do you guys rate Marseilles Black VS with all the other cultivars you’ve tasted? Marseilles Black VS will go in the ground here. I was told ‘White Triana’ will likely be hardy to plant with winter protection but that my growing season will not be long enough to ripen the figs to maturity. Comments?

Dax

I don’t have White Triana, so can’t help there. MBvs is a decent Mt. Etna type. Actually one of the better ones as it is a prolific producer and the figs are excellent. They get better the longer you can let them hang. It out produces Hardy Chicago. A must have if you ask me. It seems to taste better with age too. Mine is going on 4th or 5th leaf now and last year the figs were very good.Mine is in a container.

1 Like

That FMV is funny. Remember my posts a couple years back with my Panache having it bad? I planted it in the ground and it grew four foot tall with very little signs of it. It’s buried under a full tarp with shredded leaves right now. Curious how that works out. I’m going to start burying them when planting on a 45 deg angle so it’s easier to bend them down to the ground. I snapped that one trying to bend it. The last of my snow is finally melting. Still some spots out back with four inches yet. The rain tomorrow should take care of it.

1 Like

Yes all of my fmv infected trees tend to out grow any problems. So I’m not really concerned about it.

What is your ‘dirt’? Actual, dug up from the ground, or a mix of some type?

I just up potted some cuttings that I started rooting in tree pots ( about 0.7 gallon) in Nov and December.
Many are already fruiting. They have been moved to 3 and 5 gallon containers. I wouldn’t be surprised if they fill those out within a couple of months.

I moved them from under lights to a popup greenhouse.

7 Likes

I believe it was a mix of potting soil, peat moss and soil conditioner.

Is that gray thing in the greenhouse a heater?

Here is a fig from my Chicago hardy that I kept inside all winter. I am now moving it in and out depending on the weather

3 Likes

How did it taste compared to summer ones?

1 Like

Lol, I have not really ever got to try a properly ripened summer fig as I just rooted these last spring. I did have a few that ripened when I forgot to water them last September but they were very small. This one was a little sweet and very mild compared to a dried mission fig. I think they will taste better in the summer, it has been very cool and cloudy and wet for two weeks here so that probably didn’t help the flavor

I tasted my CH last fall. They are the best I think. I have two in the ground. Now to just figure out when to uncover them. I uncovered an eight foot tall rose that I overwintered the same way and it was bright green with half inch buds coming out. It makes me think I’ll have figs with grey beards by the time I uncover them, lol! My Crocus are just peeking out of the ground now. I hope my rose doesn’t freeze. It’s the first year I have tried covering them. They usually start over every year.

1 Like

I find that my CH figs are very small, maybe because the tree is so young and small, I don’t know. I would have thought they would be bigger. The fig in the photo above was probably not as big as a quarter

CH figs are small in size. The one in the pic was not quite ripe. Wait until skin is more brown than green, skin shriveled and figs droop would be the better time to pick.

2 Likes

That is the cutting from your fig, I think it is more green because I grew it all winter inside without natural light to turn it purple, it actually dropped on its own. No latex taste, just mild fig. I think it will make more figs this summer that will ripen and look more normal for a CH

2 Likes