Propagating Fig Cuttings

I agree that clear plastic would sure be better for seeing roots. That’s good to know about the growth. I figure you have to cross that line at some point but wasn’t sure if I was there yet. The larger pot has one cutting in it that forks . The fork is below the soil line. I scared the branch in hopes that the cutting would root at the bottom and potentially above fork also. Maybe I can split it into two plants eventually. I used an oatmeal tube because I have much better luck controlling rot in seeds that are in breathable material rather than plastic cells. I think you can also determine to some extent how damp the potting soil is by the moisture on the outside of the container

That’s a good point. I drill or cut a bunch of small holes into the sides and at the base of my plastic cups for the same reason.

1 Like

I never considered putting holes in the side of the container, I can see where that would help with rot and stoic be able to see roots, nice tip.

1 Like

Glad it work for you. I’d say, if I could root CH, everyone should, too :grinning:

1 Like

I have to tell you I was pretty nervous to try it after reading some of the threads here. Thank you for the cutting, what a great opportunity to learn a new propagation technique and I hope to have a nice fig next summer!

Derby,

I hope they have roots. If so, congrats.

Don’t let them dry out too much.

I find rooting figs is a good way to distract me from the winter doldrums. Figs are such hopeful plants, sprouting new life seemingly out of thin air.

1 Like

I love the taste of CH. They are precocious.

However this past fall, it rained quite a bit right around the time a later batch of figs were ripening. Not good, kinda soggy, bland.

1 Like

i have read that for such a common variety it ranks quite high in tast. I hope to eventually have one in ground and one potted so maybe I can control the water on the potted one at least.

Your area is a bit warmer than mine. I have one in pot, another in ground with protection. So far, this winter has been mild. We’ll see.

By the way, your handle picture of your son hugging a gigantic pumpkins is very cute. It makes me think of James and the Giant Peach.

1 Like

Well thank you, that is my grandson and we had a wonderful time that summer growing that pumpkin. He comes to visit every week and he loved to water it and see how much it grew while he was gone. He has now claimed one of the fig cuttings. When it was time for him to go home Sunday afternoon he had to go talk to it and tell it to grow for him while he was gone.

3 Likes

It looks like the fig cutting in the clear cup has a root showing so that is good news. I have a question about the leaves. I noticed some of the tips are grey and appear to have some rot. What should I do? Do you think they are too humid? Have I let them get too cold?

Too humid. Yes it is rot.

Take cuticle scissors and snip off any areas of rot immediately.

Put the cutting in a clear plastic cup filled with two parts perlite; one part peat. Puncture small holes all around the cup beforehand to improve aeration. Water the outside edges of the cup with a bulb dropper. Put the cut in a drier place (not inside a bin), but don’t put it over a radiator or vent either. Near a window with ambient light (north facing) is best.

Water the edges of the cup with a bulb dropper every several days, letting the water soak down the edges of the cup, but not touching the cutting in the middle. Stagnant water on a cutting quickly results in mold and then death.

1 Like

Cut out any mold with cuticle scissors. Cut back to green tissue; remove all mold or rot, and discard right away.

The cutting should eventually recover-- continuing to grow, or putting out a new bud and growing from there.

1 Like

Here’s my Staten Island Bomb fig. I had to snip some moldy rot off its growing tip a few weeks ago. It formed a new bud and has grown healthily since then.

3 Likes

I have had the cuttings in their own pots but in side a two gallon glass jar with a lid on it. Both have visible roots now. The air in my house can be very dry this time of year. Do I need to expose them to the dryer air gradually?

Because of the mold/rot-- I would cut them off from the glass enclosure cold-turkey.

Keep the roots periodically watered-- drying out for just 24 to 48 hours in between waterings.

Don’t put them anywhere near a vent or radiator. Near a north-facing window or on a sconce or (unused) fireplace mantle is best. Lots of ambient light is good.

1 Like

Thanks again for the tips. I have taken the top off of the jar and trimmed the leaf edges. the rot seems to have dried up.

I set my figs outside today, it’s a little overcast here so it shouldn’t be too much for them.

9 Likes

I have roots on lots of new additions to my fig collection.

Yesterday, I removed some newbies from the humidity bin and put them into cups, including Makedonia Dark, Stella, Brooklyn White, Morley, and Red Lebanese (Bekaa).

Here is Nero 600m showing lots of leg!

6 Likes

Nice to see a fig tree growing out of a Quaker Oats cylinder. There’s hope for the future after all!

5 Likes