Propagating Fig Cuttings

Yeah, the old Quaker Oats, lol. I am really a use what I have on hand type of guy.

2 Likes

Nice long roots on that one. How big do you think your figs will get by mid April. I will have to repot that little guy in my photo this weekend.

Today, I moved my cuttings to a north-facing window with more ambient sunlight.

1 Like

Here’s what they looked like last April. Left to right. Euro Negronne, Brunswick, and Alma.

Ironically, Euro Negronne died, but the other two survived. Go figure. You just never know with figs. The spring of 2016 weather was really chaotic, and last year’s batch of cuttings did not like it. I had lots of losses, but significant gains too.

Winter 2014/ Spring 2015-- I did much better. @fruitnut Steven Winter sent me, and several others each, a generous package of fig cuttings then.

By early May 2015, that batch was rockin’ and rollin’.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information, I really like seeing these figs growing this time of year, the perfect winter project.

These aren’t mine , but for a cousin of mine that grows figs. He says he just cuts the ends on a 45* angle and starts them in sand then waters them twice a day.

6 Likes

I have found sand to be the best for raspberry seeds. I never thought about using it for figs.Raspberry seeds are a pain, and the sand holds them still well. They have little weight and need to be exposed to light, the reflective nature of sand helps too. So even if covered a bit, germinate. I’m experimenting with other substrates too. Good info, I may try it with my own cuttings.

1 Like

That Quaker Oats looks bigger than what I have seen around here. What are your figs sitting in, a big truck bed? Your figs look like they will do good. I might cut some from my plants and root them but really I don’t have room in the garage for more plants. I’m thinking maybe plant the ones I have in ground this year and make back ups for next year. I think they will grow better in the ground than pots. I planted two Brunswick’s in the ground and they really took off in the early fall after not growing much in their second year in a pot. They were nice and green in that last warm spell but while collecting scions they looked more brown in this five deg weather. I think they might just green back up though. My problem is they all need bigger pots and It will double the space. My garage barely goes below freezing. I have exposed heating pipes and a dryer vent.

1 Like

Are the wires to keep the squirrels out?

Yes that is my old truck, I use it to haul wood but it makes a nice safe place to set the figs and I just park it in a nice sunny spot. It is a pretty big oatmeal container, nice and deep for the cutting.

2 Likes

Looks like a nice haul of red oak.

Yes , that was som real nice red oak, that 100 year old type that will split with one or two swings of the maul. Set the figs back out today.

2 Likes

Figs are growing good. Looks like they got a bit greener. That oats container looks smaller now. I thought it was on a dinner plate. Red oak splits good. White oak has to be ripped apart, very hard to do by hand.

That’s a two liter pop bottle next to it for size comparison. Yes old red oak is my favorite to split and burn.

That’s his very primitive way of sectioning off the varities. Lol

2 Likes

Everybody, when your figs become trees, please give reports on fruit and such.

I ate one fig last year. It was from a two year old Brunswick. It must have been a brebra it was huge! It was about two inches wide and a little longer. It tasted similar to a honey rock melon. It ripened in my greenhouse. The others lost their leaves and I put them in the garage. some with figs still on them green yet today.

1 Like

I started rooting a fig cutting back in November (thanks Mmuang for the cuttings) but I couldn’t provide normal temps for this to root at home so I finally decided to take it to work. At work things started to look good. the cutting leafed out and I saw little white bumps at the bottom of the cutting. They started to split up and I thought roots would emerge from there. but then my kid got sick and I had to stay home with him and couldn’t go to work for almost a week. The water level dropped below the white bumps area and they all dried up. Please see the attached picture. Is there any hope for this? I replaced the water and put the cutting back in water. Will that work? Should I pot it up? Or is it time to give up on it? I hope not.

1 Like

1 Like