Protecting Espalier from Deer/Squirrel

Other than a metal cage, anyone succeed in keeping deer and squirrels off an espaliered fruit tree?

1 Like

Deer can be discouraged from fruit with repellents and some are OK for edibles. I use my own formula with ivory soap and eggs mixed with water that works for me.

Woven 2-strand netting from American netting and others (7 Springs) can be effective if squirrels aren’t hungry enough to bother chewing through the netting.

1 Like

Thanks Alan, I’ll contact American Netting and ask about squirrels.

I used netting and the squirrels chewed through it and got all of my apples on espalier.

I built a picket fence with a gate to enclose mine. It works for deer. I’m sure it won’t work for squirrels.

I am going to plant my novamac on b9 right next to the house (south/sunny side - near my fig) and near the HVAC unit. In hopes they will not be brave enough to come that close, and if they do the HVAC may kick on and run them off.

I have a view of the area out my home office window and any that are brave enough will probably get eaten by me.

I just learned about electric netting fences. I thought maybe I drape one over my trees but I could only find netting that is very long, like 80 ft. and only 5 ft high. Do they make electric netting that is maybe 6 - 8Ft wide and 50 ft long?

If not electric netting, what about placing strands of electric fence along the cordons?

I’m only one year into establishing my espalier but I can tell this will be an issue.

I posted this in another thread as it looked like an interesting possibility

Unfortunately I think most other members were skeptical it would work against the larger pests (squirrels, raccoons)

I’ve never used an electric fence but in my research I think just draping the netting or using wires as cordons would not work as any branches or leaves touching would ground out the system and then not deliver the shock when needed

1 Like

I tied netting but the critters chewed through it.