Pruning Apple Tree

Hey folks, I have this three-year-old dwarf apple tree that I just transplanted from a 15g container into the ground. I realize that it needs some good pruning but I have no experience pruning apple trees. How would you do it?

2 Likes

Actually for a dwarf it does not need any pruning. The shape is balanced and appears to let sun light to all scaffolds and limbs. It most likely will not grow higher than 8’ so if you want it to stay shorter then just tip prune the tops to an outward pointing bud. You could wait a year or so before any pruning at all
Dennis
Kent wa

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum Mark
Dennis
Kent wa

2 Likes

Yes, welcome and happy apple growing. :apple:

1 Like

Thank you! Glad to be here.

I came across something called tall spindle pruning for apple trees, which triggered me to think about pruning my tree. Is spindle pruning beneficial for a backyard apple tree?

1 Like

It’s for high density orchards with a thousand or so trees per acre. Edit: Trees are spaced 2-4’ apart, there’s no permanent scaffold branches, trees are grown like 10’ tall, and held upright with a trellis system.

1 Like

Hi, are you referring to the Dwarf Pyramid / Central Leader style or the tall spindle high density system?
https://youtu.be/iMIdg3KmADQ?feature=shared