Pruning my multi-graft apple

Attached are two photos of my combo apple tree in it’s second year. I’ve not pruned it at all but it is in need of some help now and I’m hoping you all can give me some advice.

I’ve color coded each variety on the tree. What the picture doesn’t show is that most of the growth of this tree is in a horizontal plane similar to a Jewish menorah. What also doesn’t come through due to the exaggerated photo angle is that the crotch angle of the bottom two grafts are nearly 90 degree horizontal from the trunk for a few feet until they begin to grow vertical.

The Akane graft is the most vigorous and has sent out many growing shoots. The other grafts are quite long and spindly without much branching. The early fuji graft in red has the greatest amount of fruit spurs developed.

I need to prune this tree so that it will start growing in all 4 main directions rather than a plane. I think I should keep the Akane as the central leader and cut the Chehalis graft way back to an outward facing bud that forced it to grow away from me toward the neighbors house in the background. I also thought about cutting the two lowest grafts back by about 1/3rd in order to stop the upward growth and to force it to create more branching. If I do this should I still cut back to an outward facing bud? consider the branches are nearly horizontal to the ground would this make sense? What are your thoughts?

How should I handle the Akane growth? Cut the tips back a little and allow it to leaf out heavily?

Looks from photo like the crotch of purple and orange might be too narrow to save them both. When I’ve had competing leaders like this in past I will cut back purple say by 2/3 and keep it for a season to use as a splint to pull orange upright. I tie the two together near their base with a soft cloth- maybe not too much tension now in cold weather, more tension in warmer weather when wood is more pliable. Then remove purple completely after splinting succeeds.

I have a nine year old pawpaw that grows mostly in two dimensions like your menorah- must have been an espalier in a past life.

Yeah you are probably right I could lose one of those and be better off. I’ve heard good things about Akane and would likely keep that. I’ve never heard anyone talk about Chehalis which I believe is supposed to be a Washington State Golden delicious variant.

I’ve heard people mention making a relief cut on the underside of a limb to help pull it in the opposite direction. This might be a case where that would work for the Akane. Anyone try this?

[[quote=“speedster1, post:3, topic:3554”]
I’ve heard people mention making a relief cut on the underside of a limb to help pull it in the opposite direction. This might be a case where that would work for the Akane. Anyone try this?
[/quote]

I believe Alan has mentioned a few times- I’ll the specifics to him, though.

Hinges aren’t hard. Sharp saw cuts 1/3rd through the wood near the union on the side you are bending it to. Keep them about an inch apart make three and see if it bends- make more cuts if needed, but first tape real tight just below and just above the union so the thing doesn’t split. Use electric tape and remove it come early summer. If the bark starts to peal when you remove it just cut through it with a razor so nothing gets girdled.