Pruning Pomegranate trees/bushes

Russian named pomegranate.

Oh you mean the ones abbreviated like R1 R8 and so on.

No. I mean the ones with Russian names. If you look at the accession data available at NCGR you will find details of where it originated; for example Greece.

My grandfather immigrated from Austria, but was Russian, well not really he was from the Ukraine. My other grandfather came from Czechoslovakia, but it became the Czech Republic, then part of the Czech Republic broke off to form the Solvak Republic. So now I’m no longer Czech I’m Slovac. My cousin said my family was originally from Dobra. A city in Poland, and moved to Czechoslovakia which became the Czech Republic, and then Solvakia.
All of this info says nothing about me. All the origin issues with Pomegranates seems very similar. . From history it appears they are from Iran and Northern India. None originated from the various other countries mentioned. I was told no such thing as a Russian pomegranate that they came from Turkmenistan, some anyway and other nearby countries. Well no they didn’t! No such thing as a Turkmenistan pomegranate, After all we are trying to be accurate here.
This post was satire, just in case you don’t get it

2 Likes

LOL.

For further information about Pomegranate names and origins, please refer to:

2 Likes

Thanks Richard very good info. I decided to stay with the more cold hardy types in anticipation of problems. Oh I enjoyed another thread about Pomegranate you have, very interesting stuff. I have to come over some time and check your place out. If I ever get out that way i will let you know. It has been a pleasure meeting you online at Tomatoville, which was some time ago already? Man time goes by!
Back to that thread of yours you mentioned surprise at how much growers have to mail order. Yes, 99.5% of my couple hundred plants are from mail order. I like it myself, as time is money. My time is always limited. So I mailed ordered a couple Pomegranate that can be grown in my zone. Most years they make it. I still though plan to grow in a container, as big as possible, probably 30 gallons., I can handle that.
I went with Salavatski and Al Sirin Nar.
For me these plants are novelty plants until they prove themselves. No point seeking super desirable ones that could die if I lose power for a few days. I need something a a bit tougher. If these work out I may pursue more desirable cultivars.
Hard seed or not, owners of these two trees are happy with them, I’m sure I’ll be too! The latter selection is from Trees Of Joy, Herman (bass) owes it and is very well known in the fig community, if he likes it, I’'m sure i will!

I like that cultivar, if I remember correctly it has a dark berry flavor.

Al Sirin Nar just came in today, Nice looking plant. Again if it goes well I will look at others.

1 Like

Orchard in Pauma Valley, California.

2 Likes

My continued abuse of my Pom 'Nana". After spending a cozy winter indoors. I moved her outside to be greeted by 45 degree rain. All of her leaves shriveled to paper and fell if I didn’t remove them first. She is despite all the abuse doing great. New leaf buds are emerging at every node and likely a whole lot of new branching. I hope this stimulates a new round of flowering. She flowered once when she broke dormancy indoors over the winter but as expected nothing set.

3 Likes

Thanks, Richard, for your posts. I’m new here and appreciate learning from your and others’ knowledge. I’m curious if you or any others have any ideas on what caused about a half dozen of my two dozen pomegranates to die back down to their main trunks this winter at my place in Napa. I’m in a fairly moderate zone, the AVA known as Coombsville. It can get cold, but really didn’t this past winter. My thermometer said 27 at the coldest. None of my dozen citrus suffered any notable damage, although they are up on a terrace next to a concrete patio and the house. But I nearly lost a half dozen pomegranates, all between 3-5 years. My theory is that it was because we had so much rain (over 40 inches) and they were trying to process all that water going to their roots. (Even /when dormant, I get the sense when I prune my pomegranates that they are still channeling sap through their veins.) This left them, I think, susceptible to a mild frost even before they leafed-out. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

Pomegranates are susceptible to a blight in your area - I have seen it on a few of the accessions at Wolfskill Orchard.

Thank you. Was the blight you saw at Wolfskill ever manifested in its primary infection stage (when tree totally dormant) by a pink/peach colored fluid? If so, that’s definitely what I had. Funny; I started replacing my apples and pears with pomegranates because I said I was through with blight magnets,

I’m not too far from you down here in Livermore with a very similar climate. That is with the exception of rainfall this winter. And my poms look perfect. So my guess is too much rain killed the roots.

1 Like

No, it appeared something similar to black sooty mold – last month.

Thanks. You’re right. On mine, the bark looked like water-soaked and black. Underneath the black, it was dead. The orange ooze was on a nearby grapevine pruning wound. Thanks again.

1 Like

I’m not sure of the posting etiquette for replying to really old threads, but I have a pomegranate pruning question and there is already a pomegranate pruning thread. So, my apologies if I should have posted differently!

I have a very floppy R26 (afganski) pomegranate, and I’m not sure if I should prune it or not?

It is my first pomegranate. I purchased it in a gallon pot from Wilson bros when it was maybe 6"-8" tall, and planted it about 5 months ago (April 2021) near a South-facing wall of my house in mostly full sun, except when it is in the shadow of the house. Still, definitely more than six hours of sun per day during summer. It has grown probably 2 or 3 feet since then, but it is so floppy that the branches look like they are weeping willow branches or something like that.

Is this the normal? Is it somehow related to the planting location? Should I prune the branches so they’re less weepy? For now, I’ve propped it up in a tomato cage just to keep the branches of the ground.

Sorry the pictures are so hard to see, there’s two pictures of the pomegranate without the tomato cage, and one with.

Yes some do weep. It will not hurt anything to prune. Although it probably will weep again. It may lose this as it grows as right now it’s a very little plant. these things get big. Don’t overfeed it either. It could be it’s not getting enough sun, or weak growth was caused from too much nitrogen. It’s not unusual for them to weep when young. I would not be too concerned about it.

1 Like

I’m not sure you’ll ever get fruit in your climate, but here in California these can be 15’ tall in about 5 years.