Pruning/training a seaberry plant

I got a female seaberry growing on a pot that is about four feet tall now. I just haven’t figure out where I want it yet. It hasn’t flowered, most likely next year. It is basically a central leader with side branches, pretty much like a pine.

How do you usually train/prune these? I figure next year I’ll put it on the ground and top half of it, promoting it to bush up. Does that sounds sensible?

4 Likes

That’s a beautiful plant. I put 5 in the ground this spring and they all have just a handful of leaves.

Pruning to make them more densely bushy is counter productive. If too dense they will start shading out their own branches.

Agree with Johann, would not prune it but when it gets to an elevation beyond which you wish to reach for fruit, you can air layer the top and produce your second tree. When you remove the rooted top, you will be topping it and limiting its high growth.
I would not wait much to plant it in the ground as these are very sensitive to planting stress.
Dennis
Kent, wa

I found them ridiculously easy to propagate via cuttings. I was finally able to sex the plant (forgot to check the buds last year). I got a branch from a male and now I have four male saplings happily rooting away and putting up green growth.

That was on an aeroponic box but judging by how quickly they rotted moist media should work just as well.

Fruits on 2nd and 3rd year wood.

Oh Non In Alaska I thought you meant a sea grape (native to Florida )

Have you seen The Video of them growing them in Romania

17 tones seaberries yield per hectare
LIVADA CU BOBITE AURII(CATINA)/SEA BUCKTHORN FROM CARPATHIAN GARDEN - YouTube
LIVADA CU BOBITE AURII(CATINA)/SEA BUCKTHORN FROM CARPATHIAN GARDEN

I honestly do not know if this answers your question
Just thought it was interesting a while back…
(my sound broke , and no transcript is available (on the 3 dots)