Purple carrot harvest

Something about purple. I never grew carrots before. They have been growing since spring. On one the foliage was turning brown so I pulled it. Holy moly I never seen such a big carrot! I had to try it, the photo was an afterthought

Man is this thing huge and the flesh is almost black. Tasted just like any carrot. Which is strange. The juice stains your hand like mulberries! Again the flesh is a deep purple, almost black.

I also harvested some purple potatoes today too

The light one is Yukon Gem which I like better than Yukon Gold.

Well next time I will harvest sooner. As it is delicious but very dense and hard to cut. I’m sure younger roots are more tender. The staining is bad, my hands are all purple!

10 Likes

Blue carrots, like red fleshed apples, are more healthy for a person. Blueberries,
and many other colorful fruits also have multiple benefits to health.

1 Like

When i see that carrot i think of beets

2 Likes

Yes it does look like a beet!! Which I love and my wife hates so I rarely eat them. I sliced into sections to use more easily.

I still have about 30 of them to harvest. I grew some yellows too. I have yet to even look at them. They sure are easy to grow.

5 Likes

What variety of purple carrot is that?

2 Likes

try canning beets. my wife doesnt care for them but we can eat a cup each of spiced pickled beets a sitting. as a kid id even drink the juice. :wink: what are you growing them in for soil? mine are half that size in my raised beds. id also like to know what variety also. i grew adirondack blue and norland reds this year. made some blue mashed potatoes and fies. they were very good. better than the mass farmed ones around here.

4 Likes

I never tried pickled beets until i as in my 20s and i loved them. I just bought some the other day because its been awhile. My wife says they taste like dirt, and i said i know…i like that.

5 Likes

i dont add sugar to mine. just beets , vinegar and spice. the sharpness of the vinegar is what makes it taste so good. ive tried recipes with sugar and ive found they arent as good. beets are already pretty sweet on their own anyway.

3 Likes

I’m going home Monday and can look around for the info. I think it’s Black Nebula from Baker Creek. Seeds are from Baker Creek. I grew one of the yellows too.
I grew in a raised bed on the northeast side of my shed. So no light till afternoon then direct light for the rest of the day. Soil is just garden soil and old potting soil with lots of large grained DE as I use it in all potting mixes. I mulch when possible too. I use hyr brix fruit and berry fertilizer. No supplements one application. I’m growing roots so nitrogen best applied at start as large green foliage tops does me no good. I do the same with garlic. Seems to work. My garlic bulbs were the biggest ever this year.

3 Likes

Voles, slugs and other stuff like to eat carrots in my vegetable garden :frowning: I’ve stopped trying to grow root vegetables.

2 Likes

I get it. I can’t grow sweet corn as the squirrels love it. Not worth it. They bother my stone fruit but not as bad and easier to protect.

2 Likes

I pulled one of the yellows today.

7 Likes

@Drew51

Im always surprised by what your growing. Thats another good looking carrot. We had some yellow beets this year they were delicious.

4 Likes

After the talk about beets I’m going to grow some next year. I’ll probably pickle them too. Since my wife won’t ever serve them I guess I’m going to have to grow them to have any.
I have a whole patch of both yellow and purple carrots. Maybe I’ll pickle them too!? I was home today but didn’t have time to look to confirm variety of carrots. Staying home a few days starting Monday.

3 Likes

i got a few packets of yellow carrot seed as freebies from Baker creek. they are from Kazakhstan. im going to grow them out next season. if you like beets as a side you’re going to love them pickled! i just picked up 20lbs from a farmstand to add to my cylindrica beet harvest. all are getting pickled. mon. :wink:

3 Likes

Yes I’m already looking forward to growing them.

2 Likes

I recently bought a quart jar of beet pickles at RURAL KING…for $6.99
Considering quart jars are $1.50 each, I got the pickles for $5.50.
Best ones I ever had except mom’s.

3 Likes

My 2 1/2 yr old grandson’s first purple carrot. His dad had to wrestle him for it to wash off the dirt. The boy doesn’t care about a little dirt and loves raw carrots. Same variety from Baker creek.

4 Likes

a little dirt cleans the plaque off the teeth and improves ones immune system. :wink: like Dad used to say 'God made dirt and dirt dont hurt! ’

4 Likes