Purple Martins as pest control

A small part of the reason I’ve thought about attracting Purple Martins is because I want to custom build one of those cool bird condo’s that are commonly used for Purple Martins.

Martins arrive here normally the first week of April. Was just outside cleaning houses.

S.E Ohio

2 Likes

Well I never ended up building a purple martin house like I had hoped. I stead last year I built a mason bee house which in the end was not very successful. Today at tractor supply I saw purple martin houses for sale and picked one up along with a 15 foot pole. Guess ill give it a try this spring. Not sure if I’ll attract and Martin’s but ill give it a shot. One concern I have is if I do attract Martin’s if they will eat my mason bees? Guess that’s a risk but my mason bees were very successful last year anyway.

Anyone know the best time to put the Martin house up? Bobs in the same zone as me and says they start showing up around April 1. How far ahead of that should I put the house up?

I follow the Purple Martin Org map and watch the reports as they head north. After the many years I’ve had my houses, I pretty much know when they will arrive. I will hear them before I see them.

I normally will clean them out in March and close them off to all the sparrows and speckles. I raise the gourds up and give them a place to hang out until I get all up the houses up and open.

I have bees and they do eat some of them. But the hives are far enough away to make them not the prime target.

I like my Martins but they can be noisy.

1 Like

I’m sure these houses arernt as good as those tear drop pods but this is the one I got from Tractor Supply. I was surprised at how large it is.

4 Likes

It will work!

I installed my tractor supply purple martin kit. Pole looks awful thin. But seems relatively sturdy. I dont suspect ill have any martins stop by but worth the try.

3 Likes

Why do you want martins?

Becuase they eat a lot of nasty bugs and insects while leaving my fruit alone. And they should be fun to watch with the kids.

3 Likes

I’m pretty excited. I think I actually have purple Martin’s already! Can anyone confirm? I realize the pics are blurry but it’s the best I can do for now. @BobC do these look like Martin’s. They are quite noisy. There is at least two of them but maybe three.

6 Likes

Although burry, I think you are the proud owners of some Martins

3 Likes

Now you will have a new hobby and have to build more houses or grow gourd and put them up

1 Like

I’m excited! I assume they are juveniles looking for their first apartment. They aren’t super colorful but there is unmistakable blue/purple coloring on them.

They won’t mind you visiting. If you get a better picture upload.

Couple more pictures but the Martin’s are so fast my camera can’t keep up.

IMG_1307

2 Likes

More pics. This time a bit better with wife’s camera and zoom.
IMG_1342

IMG_1333

5 Likes

Hmmmmmmmm those pics look like barn swallows.

1 Like

Crud. I posted the pics on Purple Martin. Org and they said it’s a common tree swallow. I’m bummed.

Barn Swallows eat tons of insects too, still good birds.

1 Like

I was reading that unlike Martin’s, tree swallows eat berries. :frowning: not good to have a bird house 20 feet from my raspberries

1 Like