Purple reign

Do they get winter protection?bb

2 Likes

I field grafted them in May three years ago and dug them up in the fall and potted them in 20 gallon pots. I overwinter them with the figs in my tornado shelter.

5 Likes

Funny we’re discussing Paks under Purple reign when they hardly stain! Just a thought…Great conversation otherwise. Any chat about mulberries is a great chat!!

3 Likes

I bought one from Burntridge and it is grafted, not rooted.

4 Likes

All my Paks are grafted also.

Uk nursery pak put in ground 1 year ago.

Belgium nursery pak planted 3 months ago

Belgium nursery clone 10 pak (hardy mutation) planted 3 months ago

Italian nursery white pak/saharanpur planted 2 months ago

Belgium nursery white pak/saharanpur planted 2 months ago

All are grafted, when they get bigger i might try airlayering to create new trees on their own roots to try them in other property i have

7 Likes

Raf what variety are those? Thanks

2 Likes

looks really nice @Carld ! And seems to be precocious for its size.

those are pakistan mulberries. The only other mulb i’ve kept apart from nigra mulbs

4 Likes

I am just amazed that my 3 potted Pakistan Mulberries are pumping out this much berries.

All the way down from the bark grafted union.

10 Likes

Have they fruited to maturity before?Those numbers look like what my Gerardi did.bb

2 Likes

I guess I could do it this way. I just think I would loose all of them to late frost 9 years out of 10. They would start waking in January here and I really don’t know how to prevent that… :cry:

2 Likes

Last year I got haft of the production due to late frost. I was too antsy and brought them out of the shelter way too early and got zapped.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5 amazing your pakistans, so prolific :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow that’s awesome Tony. Yes I tend to bring mine out early. I’m not going to do that anymore! I had some Pakistan cuttings but I think I killed them? One might survive. I left them out and it got too cold for a little plant.
What size containers?

1 Like

15 gallons pot. I bark grafted it onto a large wild Mulberry rootstock.

1 Like

Wow, that is so cool for only a 15 gallon. I have to grow this one too. I do have grafted ones too. Have you tried the Pakistan white? I heard that Australian Green is synonymous? Know anything about that? Have you seen Black Prince? Looks interesting too! I grafted two pieces hope at least one takes.

2 Likes

never heard of that, wanna see what it looks like!

1 Like

It’s said to be Alba x rubra which would make it hardy. I kinda doubt it.
Black Prince
black%20prince%202

Black%20Prince

5 Likes

that looks pretty firm for a mulberry!

1 Like

I didn’t really notice that, although now that you mention it, I agree!
I sure hope I get a take. The wood looked good. I still have one piece. I’m trying to decide what to do with it? I have some options. At my cottage on a pre-planted rootstock I put in last year. Or here in the city to protect it in need be? The one I did is here now. I’m not the best grafter! I don’t have confidence that the one I did will take. Decisions decisions
I worked hard to learn to graft what I wanted. Here is one success , finally! Indian Free peach, 6 feet tall, 8 years old. 6 cultivars 3 pluots, 2 nectarines, and a scaffold of Indian Free too. Makes six! And all are blooming!

5 Likes

it seems to be an alba, so could wager it will be more resilient to cold weather than a typical nigra. Pls keep us updated here on its progress!

have to disagree, as your multi-grafted drupe tree says otherwise

3 Likes