Purple reign

if you live in vegas, best to grow your blackberries at the north side of your house, as direct noon sun will roast it crisp.

adds a pleasant tart to sweet pak mulberries. Btw, our pak has been producing daily for a month now.

9 Likes

Looks good Raf! I have a small rooted cutting of Pak, trying to keep it alive. I’ll try again if they fail. Looks like Black Prince graft took. Excited about that. I had another scion I just put on today as a backup. I was able to get two grafts, so three total.

Also an update on the zone 6 nigra Tsarigradska mulberry. The plant broke dormancy rather late which to me is a sign of hardiness. Time will tell! .I may do an air layer, although I feel I should leave it alone.
The 2nd plant is growing and staying bonsai like!

3 Likes

So how long does your Pakistan fruit?

1 Like

If remember it right it lasts about 3 wks but will probably twice as long this year. Our shrub-tree has grown a labyrinth of latreals which bear the most

3 Likes

I just netted my Pakistan Mulberries trees because the Robins are after the berries even at light purple stage.

4 Likes

LOL! I did the same on mulberries and other fruits… birds just don’t give a chance! :grin:

5 Likes

Some of these Pakistan Mulberries fell off from the strong wind. Real sweet treat!

4 Likes

those would be sweet already, but sadly still not at their peak.

btw, we get windy here as well just when our paks are ripening. I will take a photo of the carnage tomorrow. We still get a plenty for ourselves though.

2 Likes

big bird devouring our paks

5 Likes

Looks like a mocking bird…

3 Likes

well then, i guess will have to order this award-winning novel at amazon. Just kidding

3 Likes

Lol. It’s our state bird… illegal here!!!

But then so is running a stop sign…

5 Likes

At last, today I was able to enjoy my first two fruits of Morus nigra in Miami, Florida…Oh what heaven!!! A 20 some year winding project/journey…Proof that Morus nigra can be grown in 10b Miami. I don’t know of any other trees in the region. I’m celebrating!!!

8 Likes

This was the last fruit this year. Hoping for more next year. Morus nigra does grow and fruit

in 10b Miami Florida

10 Likes

Congrats @chriso :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome good job! I have a seedling I hope to fruit one day here in Michigan.

1 Like

love it!

2 Likes

persian mulb bearing in october, as the grocery flyer indicates. The older the trees, the more likely to bear much later in the year

5 Likes

below is our little Morus nigra video feature, tiktok-style :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have been eating a few M. Nigras every couple of days. I am very impressed. I have been thinking if I have grown a better fruit - some figs, Baby Crawford come to mind but definitely comparable. It is the best berry I’ve grown without doubt. Marion berry may be close second but both are much less productive than other less flavorful alternatives. I now want to plant may be 1 or 2 more Nigras for more production. I wonder if Kaester is an option if I can control the size but the tree in Emma Prusch park just scares me with its size. May be I will plant 1-2 more Noir de Spains. They seem to remain very compact.

4 Likes