Question about yellow leaves on my Lang jujube tree

Hello everyone,
The last March I planted one Lang jujube, one Li jujube in my garden, Zone 8, Texas. The Li jujube tree grows better than the Lang jujube. There has been 4 jujubes on the Li jujube tree while there is no fruit on the Lang jujube.

There are some yellow leaves on the Lang jujube, which I think something is wrong for the yellow leaves. I have a few photos of the Lang jujube tree, but I don’t see how to upload these photos with this post.

I do see a post in this forum having pictures inside the post. Can you tell me how to do that?

Best Regards,

Robert

You asked about how to post pics, I gave you a whole lot more. This link will help you and other new members know how to navigate the forum.

1 Like

i printscreened my reply to you and pasted it here, pls see pic below. If you click at the highlighted(in gray) icon of an arrow pointing up(indicating ‘upload’), it will ask you to browse for the picture and should be straightforward from there. Or if you have a window open for the folder(where photo is saved), you can simply drag and drop it to your reply

if that is too cumbersome, another way is to do what i just did. Open up your photo, then press “prt sc” key and go to your reply space and right-click on it and hit ‘paste’

btw, lang seems to be a biennial producer here in las vegas. Also, yellowing of some leaves(but not all), can be due to some type of stress, but not necessarily a killer. May also be due to an early autumn, due to some inexplicable cause.

Hi, late to reply here also 8A in Texas and have Li GA866 and a newer Sugar Cane. I was looking for similar answers. Sorry I don’t have one but wanted to note some similar things. My Li and GA are nearly full grown trees. Last year in the heat and drought I got major top kill on the GA866. It was on the south and south west side. So I assume the heat and sun was too much. The east side still had a few tall leaved branches. Come this summer it was even hotter. This time it top killed my GA and Li. Note it did not kill the tree, or the graft, just the top. I still had a small branch or two lower down on the tree with leaves. So one of two things are happening which are contrary to what I read about Jujubes. Either not all varieties like heat, or we have some sort of soil pathogen. I think it is some varieties can’t take too high heat. I say this because my Sugar Cane which is younger and planted right near the others was completely unaffected and grew great both summers. I can tell the Sugar Cane is not as closely related variety because the leaves are a bit different from Li and GA which have similar leaves. So that is my guess, some varieties can’t handle high heat as well as they say, whereas others can. Sugar Cane was unfazed by 110F temps, not so much as a yellow leaf.

Now not this has not killed my Li or GA. Last summer I cut off the dead branches and it promptly rapidly grew this summer…until the high heat started. Then completely killed the top, only a few lower branches as mentioned kept their leaves. So if this happens to you don’t assume your tree is dead. So far at least they have grown back. Or you can get a Sugar Cane which does not seem to have an issue with heat.

I tried watering the GA and Li more this summer due to the heat to see if that would stop them being top killed and it didn’t help. I guess I will just have to live with top kills on the really hot summers. I have had these for 8 years and the past two years were the only ones so hot to do this. 100F seems fine. Get to 105F and higher then it starts to matter for some but not all. Thankfully they do grow back very fast since these are adult trees. The can regrow quite quickly. Thought I would share.