Questions for ginger and turmeric grower

Thanks , wish I had a better photo , but that’s all I have.
My understanding is they where planted late ?
And harvested a little early ?
There are a lot of different kinds of Ginger / Galangal I assume.
And a ID. From that photo is asking a lot.
Thanks

Here were galangal plants with leaves.

https://growingfruit-images.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/0/7/0793c7c80504025d24b62ab073667847ce5e5194.jpeg

3 Likes

Maybe that is more of a flowering variety. Supposedly a lot of the landscape varieties are okay to eat they just do not beef out in the roots and not as strong of flavour?

1 Like

Ok …
here is a leaf photo of the plant in question .
(From picture of roots above )
To me it’s a definite maybe ?
What does anyone else think ?
Galangal ? , some kind of ginger , ? Other ?

2 Likes

This would be my guess if it is a type of ginger. Hope it has nice flowers when it blooms

2 Likes

That looks really compact for the culinary ginger I’m thinking it’s a flowering variety

1 Like

My myoga ginger plants really expanded since last year. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many shoots were surfacing today. They will need to be transplanted soon.

9 Likes

My friend dropped off a galangal tuber today - I’m going to see if I can get it to sprout then pot it up. Is it best to leave the tuber whole or divide it like a potato?

For those of you growing in pots, at what point (if at all) did you move the plants to a bigger one?

Myoga looks interesting. I might have to try that another year.

Tippy grows them, ask her @mamuang

1 Like

@mamuang Are your plants greater or lesser galangal? I recently learned that there are 2 distinct species called galangal. I’m wondering if one can be grown to mature rhizomes in a shorter amount of time than the other. Information online seems scarce so far in English.

I think I’ve only ever used greater galangal in cooking, and not sure how different lesser galangal would taste.

1 Like

The galangal tuber I got from my friend hasn’t sprouted any shoots, so I think I’ll cook with it. I’m not sure if I will move forward with myoga – what I like about ginger and galangal is you can mince and pulp it into a paste for cooking. Working with the buds and shoots would suggest a different culinary purpose I’m not sure I’m ready to experiment with.

I wanted to get some Myoga do you have a source? Also Galnanga Rizomes they sell them at all the asian markets around here. I can mail anyone roots if they want them.

1 Like

@lordkiwi we have many Asian markets here, her galangal came from one. My assumption was that it had been treated with something - like they do with potatoes. Maybe I should give it a little more time.

I saw myoga listed with One Green World a few weeks back but it’s out of stock now… will let you know if I find it elsewhere.

@alleyapples
Sorry I forgot to respond. I grew ginger and galangal in 5 gallon pots. Mine did not grow much. I think if you can afford larger pots, they could spread more.

These plants like heat. They were indoors during the winter. Ginger did not do well. Galangal was a trooper. Once they were out in warm weather, they started to perk up. In my experience, it took longer for ginger to get going. Galangal adjusted well and thrived.

1 Like

@PharmerDrewee ,
The common names in English are confusing. Lesser galangal is also called lesser ginger.

I grew greater galangal (ข่า), not the lesser galangal (กระชาย). They both are ingredients in Thai cooking. During the covid pandemic, lesser galangal has risen in popularity. The claim is that it contains chemicals that boost immunity against the virus.

A botanical name of galangal (I assume greater galangal) is Alpinia Galanga.

There are several Botanical names of lesser galangal. These include Kaempferia Cochinchinosis and Boesenbergia Cochinchinosis.

3 Likes