Questions for ginger and turmeric grower

@IL847
I would say high balanced fertility.

1 Like

Wow! That was really helpful information. Thank you!

So, if I grow ginger that I have purchased from a store, I would put it in soil, place it on a heat mat and start it indoors until I see it sprout? Then, move the pot outside for the growing season? Would regular vegetable potting soil be the best? Thanks again!

Yes Grace. Just like you would presprout caladiums. Break apart the larger ginger (or purchase smaller pieces of ginger) into about 3" pieces and let callous off. I use ~ 4-5" pots filled with compost/potting soil with a healthy amount of perlite and a dash of dolomite and plant them about 1.5-2" deep. Place on a heat mat. I use a thermometer set to cut off above 75 deg or so. These take a good 3 weeks to show - maybe a little more. About the time I give up on them, they surprise me. :wink:

6 Likes

Just got it…

Alpinia zinziber midnight and Zinziber mioga dancing crane

3 Likes

Just harvested my potted ginger and turmeric.
Put half of gunger roots back to a pot for next year. Turmeric hasn’t formed yet so I planted them back to the pot.

2 Likes

Will you bring these in and grow as house plants until next Spring?

Annie,
I harvest my gingers and galangals yesterday.

They were in small pots so they did not grow big rhizomes. I kep a small pot of each in the house.

Gingers in a pink container. The yellow one has galangals.

5 Likes

Yes. They will stay inside till it is warm enough to bring them out. By that time, some of the big ones will be around 3 feet tall

Nice , Tippy. Is Galangal easier to grow or harder to grow than ginger?

To me, it is easier. It grows in the house with low light while ginger disappears. Outside, it grows like mad. My ginger only grows when it is hot enough for it to be happy.

2 Likes

I might try it next year although I don’t know how to use it

It is mostly used as one of curry paste ingredients. It is used in soup but for its flavor, not for eating (more like how people here use bay leaves). Most popular soup is called Tom Kha Gai (chicken coconut soup with galangal)

It has a strong fragrance but not the same as ginger. But again I can tell the difference but those who don’t use much ginger or galangal, may not be able to differentiate it.

Young galangal can be eaten like ginger. It is hard to find young ones on the market, though.

Tippy, I love Thai food and (red,yellow,and green )Curry. Chucken Coconut soup with Galanga sounds very delicious.

1 Like

I love this Thai food website and how the lady tells the story of each recipe. Here’sfor you.

Tippy. Thanks for the link and recipe I have dried Galanga roots and can find fresh lemongrass (I used to grow it years ago),but can’t find kaffir lime leafs. The main ingredients are easy to get, authentic seasoning is hard to find☹️

I can mail you the leaves. I have the plant.

These days, it often called Makrood (pronounce ma-krood) because kaffir is an offensive term in South Africa.

Tippy, it is very nice of you, thanks for the offer. It’s too much trouble for you to send me the kaffir leafs. There might be stores sale it. I just have not searched hard enough under current virus situation. Ever since I came back from Europe early this year, I don’t go out very often to avoid catching the virus

Does this look like galangal ?
A good friend grew this , was supposed to be ginger .
Obviously not the common supper market type.
My thoughts were maybe galangal ?
But have no experience with it.
So what do you think it is ?

2 Likes

It doesn’t look like ginger too me. Tippy and JustAnne4 grows Galanga. They should be able to tell

It is hard to say for sure if they were galangals. Agree with Annie that they were not gingers. If they were galangal, they were very young and have not developed rhizomes yet.

Here are galangals on the left and gingers on the right.

2 Likes