Questions not deserving of a whole thread

IMO, unless a manufacturer flat out lies… X% of Active Ingredient is all that matters. Both show:

Monterey:
Active Ingredient: Spinosad (a mixture of Spinosyn A and Spinosyn D)… 0.5%

Captain Jack:
ACTIVE INGREDIENT:spinosad (a mixture of spinosyn A and spinosad D) . . 0.5%

Discounting the likely typo on Jack’s label, I’d treat them as basically identical. If one will kill a certain pest, good chance the other will as well.

Do they not have to pay for specific testing before they can make efficacy claims on a label? So perhaps one company did so for a broader range of pests?

Not light reading: Guidance on Efficacy Testing for Pesticides Targeting Certain Invertebrate Pests | Pesticide Registration | US EPA

PS. A poster on a social media site recently indicated they were purchasing and spraying both CompanyA Bug Killer and CompanyB Fungicide. I pointed out that the active ingredient labeled on both was Neem…

4 Likes

Thanks for this explanation. It does make sense.

1 Like

Is it better to pick fruit in the morning, in the evening, or anytime? Thanks

1 Like

Anyone know what kind of trees these are? The town has planted some along the street in my neighborhood. The seed pods say maple, but the bark and leaves don’t look like any maple I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Perhaps? https://www.google.com/search?q=paperbark+maple&source=lnms&tbm=isch

1 Like

I saw quite a few paper bark maples when I was in New Hampshire but could not recall the name of that town.

Thanks @wdingus and @mamaung! Seems like an interesting tree. I’ll be interested to see how these do with the salt and heat of being next to the road.

1 Like

Would members near Dallas TX area , or similar climate recommend a good flavor J plum and Apricot ? Fruit mature soft and sweet.thanks

1 Like

Summer pruning and rain…

I need to do some light summer pruning on peach, apricot, plum, and apple. I was gone during our 2-week hot, dry spell, so I missed that window of opportunity. There are scattered showers in the forecast now.
How important is it to prune without rain following pruning? How long of a dry spell should I shoot for?
Thanks!!

1 Like

KS - we live in very different areas - Kansas vs Virginia. When I prune during the summer I have the opposite worry, I want to prune before it rains so the tree gets rain and generates new growth. My experience has been that summer pruning does not hurt as long as the cuts have a chance to seal/harden before winter. If the tree does not get rain it will not generate much if any new growth which I usually want during summer pruning.

I assume the reason you are trying to prune before dry spells is you are worried about disease. I have never seen any disease related issues from summer pruning.

2 Likes

SpudDaddy,
Thank you for your reply.
You are correct, I am concerned about disease problems if we get excess rain after pruning. I am already seeing more disease than is typical for me here, and I don’t want to make more problems for my trees.
We have had a really wet spring and early summer, and I didn’t keep up with preventative sprays. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
I appreciate your perspective!!!
KS

2 Likes

Updated photo of the mystery volunteer cucurbit I asked about a little ways up the thread. Surely this is not a funny zucchini. What is this thing?!
Mystery%20squash

4 Likes

looks like a pumpkin. Good size.

3 Likes

Hi guys. I’m laying some drip tubbing around a few dwarf pear trees Starting from 1 foot off the trunk and spiraling out word with a foot of distance in between each spiral. They grow so vertically that their drip zone is not very far out. How far from the tree should I come out and lay drip line? For now I have just drilled a few holes in the drip tubing. I eventually plan on putting drip emitters when I get more money. Unless the holes work. Thus far they are doing awesome.

I also have a dwarf plum and apricot that I’m going to be doing the same on. Do I need to extend all the way out past the drip line?

1 Like

Hi guys. Is there a way to look at your viewing history.? Last week I was trying to read some of a blog about watering with wood chips and good methods. But my webpage was closed and now I can’t seem to find my way back to it. It had about 160 ish replies and was older.

1 Like

Your browser should have your Viewing history.

For Chrome use ctrl H
For Internet explorer click the Star in the upper right corner and select the history tab.

4 Likes

What a great tip! Thanks for this, Daemon!

1 Like

Awesome! I found it. Thank you daemon.

2 Likes

Thanks

This spring I planted out 60+ Jersey Knight asparagus crowns. I noticed that a few of the plants have produced berries. I thought that, being an all-male cultivar, it would not do this. Can this happen sometimes, or did the nursery mess up?

1 Like