Quince Juice

I extracted a gallon of quince juice with quince from a generous member.

5 Likes

Nice to see larger quantities of processed quince.
I ended up with about 1.5 gallons of juice, the total of 3 batches.
The fruit was particularly aromatic this year.

2 Likes

It was quite ripe, relatively soft, and easy to cut. I didn’t have time for multiple preparations, and didn’t want to risk another week.

My quince fruit quality post-harvest holds up well in outdoor storage for 4-6 weeks.
But once a small rot area occurs, at (humid) temps of 45-60F the rot progresses rapidly.

Despite my efforts to pick every last visible quince from the tree, 3 more were down last night from the wind plus one completely rotted down this morning.

1 Like

What did you use to juice them with? Also, you never mentioned what you used it for. I have been debating on putting in a quince or two myself.

We both use an auger type masticating juicer. I also have a steam juicer, but prefer to use that with softer fruit like plums. The brand is Omega, similar in function to Champion but slower and more efficient in yield - producing bone dry pomace in one pass.

I tried boiling the pomace to extract more flavor and maybe make some jelly or something. After boiling for an hour or so, the liquid was completely flavorless. Maybe chickens would eat it?

I imagine it smells amazing. I buy quinces just to make my house smell good

3 Likes

They were stored in my garage for a couple of weeks. I could smell them in my bedroom. Nice :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s loaded with pectin
good for making jam set.

1 Like

I have used the quince juice to drink straight-up; to thicken into a sauce or pudding; to add to peach, apple, or white grape juice; to add to carbonated beverages such as 7up, Sprite, Fresca, etc. Those are 8 uses out of possibly 101. And it uses a lot of quince: 10’s of pounds, rather than a few fruits for a batch of jam or jelly.

Now I have never tried using the ejected pomace, next year I should see if crows would eat it.
I do think there would be uses for the grit that initially settles out of the raw juice from the Omega, perhaps in bread-making or other baked goods.

1 Like

I finished making the quince juice last night. After straining through coffee filters, I measured the brix at around 14 or 15.

While heating, I added a heaping tablespoon of citric acid powder and maybe 10 oz of vanilla sugar to bring the brix into the upper 20s.

Today I’m enjoying a nice dry quince soda, maybe 1:3 or 1:4 with carbonated water.

Maybe next year I’ll try steam juicing it, since I’m using it as a clear juice anyway. It’s much easier, we’ll see if it captures as much flavor.

With Aronia, I much preferred masticated juice, after several days in the fridge, compared to steam juiced (small sample size though, in different years, so not completely fair comparisons).

1 Like

I think even in bread it could degrade the texture. It’s like sand.

A couple of days ago I bought a bottle of “San-Slavia” Pear soda from a Russian grocer.
Surprisingly good at only 4% juice. I will punch it up with some of the quince juice.

1 Like