Quince on pear

Not all pears are long term compatible on quince. SOme will take but not fruit. Some will fruit for a couple of years and then break.

2 Likes

Good point @JohnS What pears are quince compatible? thank you for pointing that out.

1 Like

Corvallis ARS GRIN varieties that are quince compatible.docx (33.2 KB)
Hopefully that worked. I have had to cut out varieties that were on trees that I bought at a nursery. Fortunately, I grafted those varieties to other pear trees first. After removing the others, the original comice (compatible) gave me a lot more delicious pears. Now I can graft any pear onto comice, just not necessarily onto quince.
John S
PDX OR

4 Likes

NCGR Pears that are Quince compatible.docx (29.9 KB)
This might help too.

4 Likes

Pears Graft Compatible with Quince Rootstock.doc (29.5 KB)
Maybe this? We grow a lot of pears around here.

4 Likes

That Aromatnaya quince on unknown Euro pear died. Likely survived 3-5 years.

Winter Banana lasted longer, but I think eventually died too. Maybe 5-8 years. I wasn’t keeping track.

edit: my estimates may be off by several years. I can’t tell if its me getting older, Covid time warp, or a combination

3 Likes

I know this thread is old, but I’m both sad and amused that so many people seem to be judging quince as a raw fruit. It is so good baked. You wouldn’t like bread either if you had to eat it in the form of raw flour.

2 Likes

People very often confuse the flowering quince (Chaenomeles) with the true quince (Cydonia). The former can be used to make jelly, but the fruit has an intense lemony sourness and not much complexity of flavor. True quince (Cydonia) on the other hand, is a fruit par excellence and well worth growing and eating. It has some inherent astringency raw for the most part, and is quite dry. It’s aroma is out of this world though, and it’s flavor has strong notes of pineapple.
In the Caucasus and Black Sea region, sweet varieties are grown for fresh eating. Our season is too short, and those varieties are not well adapted to most of the US. Varieties commonly grown historically in the US would have been mainly for a source of pectin, which they have in spades. Even these are a good nibble, but their main use is for processing. The most delectable fruit preserve can be made by boiling quince and running the softened fruit through a food mill. Then add a prodigious quantity of sugar (to taste, also for texture ) and simmer while stirring. You’ll know it’s done when it turns pink and sticks to the spoon. Wrap in parchment and store the “ paste” or “cheese” for months.
This is considered a delicacy in France and Spain (membril, membrillo) and nearly everywhere else quince is grown and appreciated.

The best low intensity way to use quince is to add it 25-50% to anything you make with apples. It thickens sauce or pie and adds lots of flavor and aroma.

Too bad it’s not more appreciated here, as it’s a beautiful specimen and (apart from fireblight) a productive and trouble free crop for the most part. I grow 5 varieties myself

4 Likes

As for graft compatibility, I’d suggest using an interstem of pear rootstock of wide compatibility. I’ve found, for example, that OH87 grows quite well on wild hawthorn while most cultivated pears show major compatibility issues.

1 Like

I like Crimea and Kuganskaya better raw than baked. You can bake apples or eat them raw. I prefer them raw. There are many quince that I will only eat baked, but not those two.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

I made quince chutney last year and it was awesome. I froze the excess, so it lasted quite a while. I even mixed the quince chutney with cranberry sauce to go with my Christmas turkey, (delicious). :yum:

2 Likes