Race to produce this in the tropical/subtropical americas

was just browsing through a tropical theme and cravings at another thread and figured i’d bring this up.

if i were to come up with a personal nut hierarchy, then

pili nut>macadamia >hazelnut>pistachio>cashew>marcona almond>other nuts

arguably the most valuable nut species as it is not just the seed that is edible(and delicious), but the pulp(surrounding the pit) is likewise edible, and young leaves can be eaten as raw vegetable. Also produces the tropical version of aromatic frankincense(frankincense tree species and pili trees being in the same family).
Pili trees have long productive lives and need no pesticides.
https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Canarium+luzonicum

3 Likes

How would you describe the flavour? I already want to grow it since its related to frankincense

1 Like

Hi @RichardRoundTree, to my taste, the nuts are a cross between macadamia nuts and sweet almonds(aka italian or marcona, which is different from the common type). Creamy buttery! Some literature says it tastes like pumpkin seed, but that is false(although pumpkin seed flavor is ok). Pili has a delicate crisp, just like macadamia, but is considerably softer and more moist due to its high fat content. Even though fatty, your tummy won’t feel overwhelmed because it is also high in protein and minerals
Its protein has all essential amino acids, which is quite rare in the plant world, making it even more valuable as a food crop for both developed and developing nations. Impoverished tropical countries in south america and africa would benefit from this nutritionally-dense food crop that is produced by long-lived and zero-pesticide trees. It also happens to be a high-value food crop for export, once those countries produce more than they need.

2 Likes

here’s another site about this promising tree crop

2 Likes

Amazing, now that’s a nut tree everyone w the right climate should be growing.

1 Like

I almost thought it was the seed of Terminalia catappa when I saw the image. Are you familiar with that nut @jujubemulberry ? It’s a rare treat that sort of tastes like almonds but more oily in my opinion.

1 Like

they do look alike even though belonging to different families, and the pits are equally hard to crack. Terminalia is another food crop species that is quite promising, especially in saline soils where few crops can grow. In the philippines, where terminalias(there known as talisay) are commonly grown, the trees are more famous for the leaves used in aquarium industry, specifically for raising bettas and other fresh water species. Btw, pili(luzonicum) is endemic to the philippines, and there is another pili species there(ovatum), and both taste much better than talisay nuts, imo. And the kernels are much larger than talisay

1 Like

below is nice info about terminalia. Who would think that a tree growing on salty beach sand actually produces nutritious crops(apart from coconuts, that is)?