Ramps, now what?

Ok so i planted some ramps last year. Do they clump? Will i be harvesting by thinning? Or am i waiting for them to go to seed to resew more?

Man they smell good.

5 Likes

They do clump, and you can divide them to propagate. Also, scatter the seeds around the patch. They dont travel on their own, by critter or otherwise, they just drop.

I recommend waiting until you have a good sized colony before harvesting and then harvesting only one leaf from each plant. The bulbs are good too, obviously, but easily depleted. The leaves are very tasty and succulent, but every bulb only makes two leaves per season. By harvesting one, the harvest can be sustained indefinitely

10 Likes

I planted some ramps last year, and was delighted to see that the ones in my fenced garden came back. I won’t be harvesting this year, but maybe next year i can take a little.

4 Likes

Where did you guys get ramps to seed the area?

I actually bought some from a nearby farmers market and, instead of eating them, i planted several of them.

9 Likes

ive foraged them locally and replanted. rich maple forests and floodplains are where you’re apt to find them. nowhere disturbed as they take a long time to move in and establish. Data I found suggested the seeds travel no more than 3 ft. i multiply them yearly by scattering seeds and dividing

1 Like

I’ve been experimenting with growning Bear Garlic, Allium ursinum, which is very similar to Ramps. I’ve found that the easiest way to harvest it is to dig up a whole clump and then separate and clean all of the individual plants. After cutting off the roots, the whole plant is edible. I think that the best time to harvest is when the flower buds are at their maximum size, just before opening. I guess that the optimum clump size is around a dozen plants; larger clumps have intertwined roots, making the plants difficult to separate. And there are many small plants in the large clumps

Of course, there are lots of other ways to harvest, since every part of the plant is edible and tender.

2 Likes

Ebay

2 Likes

My woods is full of them. I have one neighbor that gets some every spring. He likes to get them early when the tops are real small. He cans them. I have watched deer eat them several times while spring turkey hunting. They produce lots of seeds. The seeds are round and shiny black. Look like BB bird shot.

1 Like

I am going to need some GPS coordinates.

3 Likes

Thanks, I tried looking (at same time as looking for morels) but couldn’t find anything. Did find morels though.

@lordkiwi, I found some websites that sell ramps as well, though I’m not sure how legit they are. What season did you plan them?

https://growingfruit.org/t/anybody-finding-wild-leeks-ramps/62286/3?u=sockworth

Hmmmmm :grin:

1 Like

Walking around this section of woods all you can smell is garlic. No seeds yet.

Close up, no seeds yet.

8 Likes

That looks beautiful!

I really love the roots pickled in dill. Scrumptious on a burger. Leaves cooked with scrambled eggs or fried with deer tenderloin.

I’m pretty sure the seed flag usually comes up before the leaves. It can take up to seven years before they are mature enough to seed.
I transplanted a bunch in various spots around my property. Not all took, but many are a grand size this year. I’ll leave them be until next year.
Lol at the gps coordinates.

I don’t know how to harvest them but seeds sell for around $50/oz.

Hi, I have looked around and have not found any in the hardwood stands of RI. That photo is unbelievable! Would you be willing to sell some plants so I could start a patch? Thanks, Laura

1 Like

I am not sure if it is possible to transplant wild leek plants. Any that I have dug will wilt quite fast after digging and should be washed and refrigerated as soon as possible. Never heard of anyone planting the plant. Leeks are just one of those things that are every where and are taken for granted.

Aw come on. I have a plague of dear and a forested area behind my home but not a ramp, ginsing or may apple to be found. I transplanted a few may apples and ginsing last year but nothing has come back and I assume they failed. The ramps I planted I kept in the yard its going to take a lot of transplants and years to get anything that picture perfect.

Better start now.

1 Like

Wild leek will readily transplant if the ground is wet, if roots are not severely damaged, if the soil is kept moist, and if the transplantation happens quickly. Whether it is legal is another issue. The following text was generated by an AI:

<< Individuals wishing to transplant or harvest ramps should check with the Vermont Department of Fish & Wildlife or the local agency responsible for the management of natural resources. There may be specific guidelines or permits required to ensure sustainable practices are followed. These regulations can include restrictions on the amount you can harvest, the locations where harvesting is allowed, and the time of year it’s permissible to do so. >>