Random grow buddies from WA

Bees have been very much out in force the last few weeks, both honeybees and native ones. I’ve seen them all over my rosemary, Spanish poppies, thyme, cilantro, and carrot flowers, plus of course the dandelions. The carrots and thyme in particular seem to be favorites.

2 Likes

Update: first berries ripe strawberries and pineberries. Tomatoes growing well. Although my white/pink currents died out in 2017 or so, seeds from back then have slowly been growing…painfully slowly. I would like to move them but fear they would die. Iris that had been pulled up had just a bit of root missed and this is the second year they have rebloomed.

4 Likes

Hey y’all! I am starting to see some yellowing of my veggies leaves. Idk what’s going on. Also my strawberries are developing black dots on the leaves. It has mint near it. And how can I kill cabbage worms. They’re destroying my Brussels sprouts

1 Like

I tried growing brussel sprouts last year for the first (and maybe last?) time, the cabbage worms got in all the sprouts. My partner said just fry them with the extra protein. I never looked into any sprays, but I’m guessing BT would be effective since they are a type of caterpillar?

1 Like

Coming off a month’s long invasion of tent caterpillars, I found that Bt combined with Neem successfully held off the onslaught. I started with Bt by itself but found it had very little impact. That could have been because the caterpillars were already adult size (1.5"). It’s more successful with newly emerging caterpillars, causing them to stop eating.

Look on the underside of the Brussel sprout leaves and you might find eggs - single yellow translucent dots. Photo of eggs and other prevention tips from:

1 Like

Whidbey Island Resident.
Interested in trading plants or seeds from, North of Seattle or Tacoma
Red Hot Pokers and home grown seeds available for trade.

2 Likes

Snow may freeze off the pokers, if it stays around too long.
I don’t thin or clean until April.
Todays snow turned to ice and pokers are covered with blanket of snow.
Should melt tomorrow.