Ranking of varieties of cherries, only "high quality" varieties

@steveb4

Like them both myself. The only thing wrong with either type is we sometimes run out. Sweet cherries are addictive and hard to grow !

2 Likes

got several z4 hardy sweets grafted to my monty this spring and they both took. one is kristen and the other is hayward i think. be interesting how it plays out.

1 Like

The red cherries are healthier from what I’ve read, but they don’t sell them here except in a can or something. Next year I might go to pick u farm to pick some.

1 Like

yes, the darker the cherries the more anthocyanins in them that fight free radicals that cause cancer. black and purple fruits and veggies are the highest in this. i grew purple carrots and blue potatoes this year. aronia or black chokeberry are off the charts for this.

1 Like

This is where I read tart cherries is better than sweet cherries. I eat an enormous amount of cherries in the summer. I have cherry jam everyday too. In the winter I love to bake with dried cherries. I don’t think I can get enough of this tasty fruit.

2 Likes

my wife has connective tissue disorder and arthritis. i juiced my sour cherries for her and when she drank it , it relieved all her symptoms.

5 Likes

Good to know. I’m glad you found something to help your wife. I just eat them.

3 Likes

That’s great to see the benefits for the tasty fruit we eat! “Healthy medicine”

2 Likes

I have a Kristin, but need to cut some saplings around it so it gets more sun. No cherries so far after 10 or 15 years. Let me know how yours does. Near St. Paul.

1 Like

it should be interesting to see as the monty its grafted to is already fruiting. will it also fruit next year? we’ll see.

Hi,

@ Jose

Where in the EU you can get about 10 pcs rootstocks like G6 , G12, G13 or rootstocks for apricot like Mirared?
I am hobby breeder.
Thank you for the useful information :smiley:

2 Likes

My neighbor said sour cherry juice help alleviate her husband’s gout pain

3 Likes

@IL847 @SoCalGardenNut

The sour cherries do that and more. They are extremely healthy but it takes time to work. Does Tart Cherry Juice Promote Better Sleep? | Sleep Foundation

2 Likes

I was not a big sour cherry fan to start off with. The main reason is that sour cherry mostly are used for pie in US and I don’t like fruits that are cooked, especially with a lot of sugar. I much prefer eat fruits fresh. However, ever since my Carmine Jewel started to produce cherries, I gradually start to like its taste and its juice. Besides the fruits, I really like its treeful of white cherry blossom in the spring.
One of my neighbor down the street came from Uzbekistan. Couple years ago, I had cherries more than I was willing to pick. I let her into my yard picking Carmine Jewel. She looked and tasted the cherry and said it reminds her of her grandma. Her grandma back in Uzbekistan had a sour cherry tree in the yard. She picked her grandma’s sour cherry when she was a kid. I offered her both sweet cherry and Carmine jewel, she prefers the Carmine jewel for more familiar taste.

6 Likes

I have had very positive comments on cherry pies made from Carmine Jewels. I would call them winners. Add lots of flour to thicken and a generous amount of sugar, which probably offsets the health benefits, but oh so good!

3 Likes

Hi Alan! What bait do you use for raccoons? The raccoons in my garden are very suspicious. While they’ll eat bacon out of a bowl, they won’t get inside the trap!
Manasi

Well, you are in Seattle, which is a bit of a genius magnet, so maybe your coons are trap smart… but I doubt it. The trap has to be big enough for your raccoons which sometimes get dog-size and they sometimes need to be led into the traps with a short marshmallow trail leading to a small bag of them in the back of the trap staked with a stick that goes through the bag, cage and into the ground.

I use the large Safeguard spring door traps with a release gate so I can easily shake out the corpses after I kill them- others illegally set then free somewhere else, which might tend to make some coons trap-smart. Once every few years I have a coon to big to want to go into the usual coon-trap so I have a back-up one big enough to trap a coyote- that is one of your diminutive west coast coyotes… ours can be almost as big as wolves.

3 Likes

My husband’s a techie & a bit of a genius. I suppose I’ll have to test the bait & trap on him first :thinking:

Wow! And I thought I had a vermin problem! Coyotes as big as wolves! We do have the diminutive coyotes here but they don’t seem to be doing much to keep the rabbit population down. They do like eating cats, however.

Thank you so much for the stake & marshmallow idea!! I do have the large safeguard spring trap so it might be that I need to get more creative with the bait laying.

A piece of bread smeared with peanut butter and grape jelly is good bait for raccoons. More important is knowing how to set the trap. Either set two traps side by side with each facing a different direction or put a single trap beside a building or other structure. The raccoon must not be able to walk around the trap. Wire two traps together so they can’t be “rolled”. A raccoon will climb on top of the trap and try to flip it over. Always either tie down or stake down a trap! I’ve also caught raccoons with a handful of peanuts with a few scattered on the ground leading into the trap.

3 Likes

Hi guys .
Excuse me for not regularly participating in the forum , but I am tremendously busy with my work .
Today I take advantage of the fact that I have some free time and I want to comment on some of the interesting varieties of cherry harvested this year.
Logically I am not going to comment on all the varieties , since I have more than 90 varieties of cherry trees in my orchard , but I do post the ones that I consider most interesting this year .
In Spain it has been an unusually good year for pollination and fruit set of the cherry tree and some varieties have overloaded fruits, so we have to wait for the next campaign to make a more exhaustive report.

I will start from the earliest harvesting varieties to the later harvesting ones.

If you have any questions about the varieties that I am going to post or any other variety , you can ask me , and it will be a pleasure to share my experiences , since in the United States you have very different climates , and choosing both the rootstock and the right varieties is essential for good fruiting.
California and states with few winter cold hours need low chill varieties, and northern states need varieties with high resistance to cracking and fungal diseases such as monilia.

The harvest date in my region is similar to that for you in the United States (in Europe the Burlat variety is used as the reference cherry for cherry ripening and you in the United States use the Bing variety as the reference standard variety), for this reason I consider it more interesting to put the maturation date without reference to Burlat or Bing

So let’s get to it:

May 14, 2023

• Brooks

• Early Red Maraly

20 May 2023

• Prime Giant Sunana

21 May 2023

• Early Star

26 May 2023

• Celeste Sumpaca

• Sweet Saretta

• Utah Giant