near the Puyallup River.
The tree was loaded with yellow cherries
Fruits were soft like a pie cherry
but sweet.
Size was smaller than most sweet cherries
but for our climate
the tree was very productive.

2 Likes

The taste of Kordia has not yet been surpassed by any other variety for me. Kordia tastes so much better than, say, Regina.
Which variety falls in the same flavor profile as Kordia, Sweet, sour, juicy, firm flesh but taste even better?

https://www.fruitlent.nl/kordia/

1 Like

Hi Roland.
Late harvest cherries do better in cold climates than in hot climates.
That said, if you don’t have the Stacatto (Summer Charm) variety, its flavor is better than the Kordia variety.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

Hi Jose,
can you tell me, what American nurseries send fruit trees to Europe.
Thanks.

of late cherries and the ones I have tried, my order of preference is Lapins, Stacatto, and Skeeena, the latter seems very good to me

Update on my White Gold Cherry…We had 6 cherries this season. Our first fruit after being planted in 2017.

1 Like

Low yield is the biggest problem I have with White Gold. I finally have it pruned so that it produces a reasonable number, but the tree must be 15 years old now.

1 Like

Sweet cherries :cherries: are not easy to grow in Kansas. Keep a black gold around to look at but no sweet cherries yet. Sweet cherries I believe are harder to grow than apricots and I don’t say that easily. Sometimes when people say a tree takes a special climate they are serious. Before that I tried Stella, Black Tartarian, Bing, and Lapins with no luck. The soil is to heavy in Kansas so I planted them on mounds so they don’t die from water sitting on the heavy soil in the rainy season. Mahaleb seems to be as good or better rootstock than any here. There will no doubt be some discouraged sweet cherry growers here looking at the great pictures. My advice would be to try white gold or black gold in a marginal location.

1 Like

Our Black Tartarian cherry had its first crop this summer (2021) after being planted in 2006. It has always been a magnificent tree, about twenty feet tall, but the fruit always disappeared when the berries were very small. Perhaps the cicadas kept the birds away, like my wife claims. Anyways, after 15 years, we finally had a bountiful crop. But they didn’t look like Black Tartarian. They were NOT BLACK and relatively small. I would love to sent a photo but my wife loved the cherries so much, she was up a ladder eating everything in sight before I could take a photo

2 Likes

One of these days, you have to drop by Crownsville and give us some tips on fruit trees. I plan to plant 2 more fruit trees in the Spring (March) to fill in two empty spaces and am thinking about maybe one Arkansas Black Apple. I can slide it in next to the Red Delicious and Yellow Delicious apples that are now in their fifth year. By the way, I trimmed the White Gold back this year so I hope we get a better crop in the spring

1 Like

Your pruning looks good there. White Gold needs few scaffolds and lots of short shoots in the middle (between scaffolds and final shoots). So eventually you will need to thin out some of those.

If you want some free bush cherries I think I am going to dig mine up this winter. I don’t know if they are ever going to get over the deer. I put some nursery peach trees in between them and realized I can just remove the cherries and turn it into a peach row :grinning:

Bush cherries are not my preference. I DID plant ten currant bushes for my wife, but I believe that fruit should be grown ‘military-style’…all in a row standing at attention. I agree with peaches. Although I only have three peach trees, they really produce! I just don’t like to share them with the bees. I am now shopping for one more peach tree (10 gallon). I have Elberta, Contender and Loring. My Belle of GA developed mushrooms all over and died. Not sure what happened. What peach do you recommend?

Depends on how early or how late you want mature fruit. Here are some to look into arranged by maturity date.

Earlystar -22 yellow
Glenglo -14 yellow
Redhaven 0 yellow
Contender +21 yellow (so you have a reference)
Madison +27 yellow
Victoria +45 yellow

1 Like

Hello,

I would like to plant cherrys and use UFO training system. For cherries varieties i consider to use sweet 7’s serias cherrys and summerland’s cherries varieties. Could you please support me to make the right chose whith a variestes which have good fruit quality, resistanse to cracking, hight productivity and supports UFO training system.
I will kind aprecciate you for support.

Best regards

Javid

Hello Javid!

Welcome to the forum. Do you know which zone you are in and can you tell us what kind of soil /climate conditions you have? That will help people to give you a better recommendation.

1 Like

I think this statement was too sweeping and at sites with good eastern exposure and generally good light and air flow they can be rewarding, but netting from birds is almost always a necessity. Where I am in NYS they really only seem to require a single synthetic spray about the same time as most apples have lost their petals with a pyrethroid and Indar (I wouldn’t be surprised if with one additional spray, Captan would work). The idea that the earliest ripening fruit, including apricots, only need one pesticide app is still new to me, but it has panned out the last two seasons. Of course, I’m only talking about the region near NYC heading north about 60 miles and from he Hudson river to a few miles inland from the Atlantic. I’ve never managed any cherry trees right near the ocean.

3 Likes

I’d think you could grow sour/pie cherries?

(Although especially near cities birds may eat most of them if not netted.) (And many farming areas also have more birds to eat them than you’d imagine…although cities seem to have more…I think it’s the “welfare/commodities” they get for free that contributes to that).

Not around here you can’t. Birds selectively eat Montmorency cherries before all others in season. I found a trick that seems to help. I hang a few red mesh onion bags in the tree. For some reason, the colors seem to suppress bird depredation. I leave them in the trees all year long. It looks tacky, but the birds don’t eat my cherries.

2 Likes

My pie cherries are from root sprouts passed down for at least 75 to 100 years.
My North Star in a 30 gallon pot didn’t live. Montmorency is nice, but you don’t get the red cherry juice (pies, jam, etc are lighter color)…so I don’t grow it. Have wanted a late pie cherry. Once mulberries ripen, the pressure on cherries is lower.

3 Likes

i actually enjoy eating monty over the romance series i have. my tree took some damage last winter but has survived. nice thing about monty also is you can graft sweet cherry to it and monty will pollinate it if bloom time overlaps.

5 Likes