Rant about shipping costs

I don’t know…they didn’t say anything about that to me. I just know they are crazy expensive!

I heard that too. I wish I can pick up the trees in Chicago but didn’t see this option

They came Friday

I prefer to order from Johnny’s, but Burpee has a couple exclusive varieties I want to grow. I’m finding at the garden stores, you can’t find many Burpee varieties, which is what I’d planned to do instead of ordering - thus the lateness of the order in the first place

Yeah…i’m pretty sure i read that on here a few years back. For what the shipping costs are they should be shipping them right out of the west coast and delivering them during a period of time a person selects. I was really turned off by that. The one year i could have had a solid month of growth by the time i got my trees. My growing season is short as it is. Oh well.

1 Like

I ordered a bunch of oddball tropical seeds off Ebay. It took almost a month but they all came. The sugar cane seed sprouted almost overnight… and i’m starting some of the other seeds. Shipping was almost nothing and they all came from China.

1 Like

Consumers now have an “Amazon mentality”. I see it in the service sector I work in too. They want it the next day, at the lowest possible cost and are fast to leave bad reviews if you don’t deliver. Nurserys who offer “free” or loss leader shipping will have a better perception of value.

4 Likes

Very true. Consumers also use tracking websites and get to watch impatiently while the package is hanging around for days in New Jersey

3 Likes

I bought a car hitch from Amazon last summer (free shipping). They didnt’ send any of the mounting hardware (which it had to have because the bolts are not something i could find at menards). They wouldn’t just send me the hardware so i had to ship this huge hitch UPS back to them (they paid return) and refunded my money. I can’t see how they didn’t lose on that.

Another option is to just buy trees locally. My menards/hd/walmart all carry trees (around $20-$25). It’s just the varieties might not be that great…although if you are early atleast with menards…they do carry a nice selection (they get picked over quickly). Nice thing is if they die, you can usually get a refund.

1 Like

I know it’s not “right next door”, but Wallace Woodstock Nursery isn’t too far from you (Neilsville). They used to have a few outlets in the spring too, not sure if they’ve got one near you or not (the one I knew about was in Mauston).

Yikes. Raintree hitting me for $50 shipping on 15 rootstocks. Feeling a bit gouged, especially after getting orders from a couple other places that were entirely reasonable…

5 Likes

I don’t have the amount in front of me, but Territorial Seeds charged something like $7 shipping and handling for one packet of 20 tomato seeds. The seeds themselves were not inexpensive, as well. They could have just put it into an envelope and mailed it. I paid it because I really wanted that variety of tomato - Ranger - but it makes me think about whether I’ll buy from them next year.

5 Likes

Yeah i stopped ordering from them a few years back. It’s too much. Best bet these days is grow your own rootstock and trade/pay for scion/budwood.

My nephew got a bunch of grafted apples trees very cheap locally. They are small…probably seed rootstock but i saw them and they were all grafted.

2 Likes

As far as propagating your rootstocks…

Seed is obviously fine. I’m guessing some of the clonals are patented? Geneva Apple rootstocks probably. Anything else?

1 Like