Razzmatazz Grape

Did your vine produce any grapes this year?

No… it set some grapes late in the season but none of them have ripened and I don’t expect them to have time to ripen this year.

I hope next year it gets an earlier start.

1 Like

This grape is finally slowing down so here is the year end review. I think its main selling point is a long season, 4 months long in this area. It produces before and after true muscadines but I find myself eating the muscadines if they are ripe. If it were not for the really long season that gives me grapes when muscadines are not in season it would get replaced. The fruit does taste good but the small size makes them too aggravating to deal with if something else is in season.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update.

1 Like

thats how my razzmatazz grape looks, I will update some picture when mine decide to wake up from the cold weather :grin::grin:

1 Like

Planted two Razzmatazz spring 2022. Got full cordon growth the first year.

Here we are. October and it’s still producing fruit. I didn’t fertilize at all.

I planted this as more a novelty than anything else. The fruit is OK tasting but a bit of a pain.

It’s PD resistant because of its large muscadine parentage so I know it was something I could grow here.

6 Likes

Your Razz looks good. I would think that it would be a good plant for kids. They can snack on them over a long period of time.

4 Likes

Birds love them… Though perhaps I’m training them for my new Errante Noir vines I’ll be planting next spring. If course it will be 3 years to fruit for them. Plenty of time to plan.

2 Likes

Still going.

6 Likes

Nighttime photos always show better.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience. I just ordered one of these.

Do you recommend that this variety should be pruned and trained differently from usual muscadines? It seems to be a much less vigorous vine. I’ve even seen some grown in hanging baskets like it’s a petunia or something.

We’ll see how mine grows this third year in the ground.

First year both of my Razz vines made it most of the way down my trellis cordon - a total of about 22 feet of growth from each.

Second year is as the photos show.

This year I expect to have to be choosier on what cane’s I let grow to keep them in control. They have gained much more girth so should be able to support a lot more fruit weight…

The only difference between regular muscadines and grapes is it puts out fruit all summer, so you want to train your cordon high and let the canes naturally train downward for your fruit.

That’s my opinion, however. Perhaps others will chime in.

1 Like

OMG, you people, how did you notice those tiny ones on the ground?

Some people really love persimmons…

My Razzmatazz are starting to bud out.