Re-blooming Plum

I have a “gold” plum that had nearly all of its flowers liked by a freeze in March. Later in the spring it sent out more flowers on new growth. I had more fruit set on this new growth than the original buds. I would like to replicate this moving forward and try a pollinator. Does anyone have a plum variety that reblooms months after a hard freeze? Can you strip the buds late winter to induce a later bloom on new wood reliably on plums? Variety suggestions?

Some of my young Chickasaw plums re-bloomed too. Maybe there is some Chickasaw in the mature tree. It would explain why I got some fruit set.

This is a reaction to stress, not something you should care to rely on. Trees are the happiest when they seamlessly compete their seasonal cycles and are ready to go dormant in the winter.

What zone are you in? On very cold zones like mine for something like this it is often better to take the late flowers out and let the tree compete its seasonal journey so new growth can get established and the tree hardens properly.

I fear the tree will suffer the stress of getting cut down if it gets frosted out every year. Lol. Might as well try.