Real Musa SH-3640 flies to San Diego

My good friend Hector in Miami sent a real Musa SH-3640 to me and it arrived today. Just estatic!!

9 Likes

Where will you put it?

My thought is to remove our existing Mysore cultivar and plant it there. But I’d like to get the new one going in a 5 or 15 gallon pot before transplanting. So, it would end up being in the same planter as it’s mutant kindred – which is currently flowering. In the long run I hope to replace the mutant with a Dwarf Puerto Rican Plantain.

1 Like

Transplanted out of the drainless 5-gallon pot into a 15-gallon pot. The wall behind the pot faces ESE so the plants there receive about 2/3 the morning sun. By spring it should be ready to transplant into the ground.

1 Like

Today I brought automated irrigation to the pot :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

It put on about an inch of central growth in January :slight_smile:

SH-3640%202019-02-08

1 Like

Very cool! I am just not getting into musa species and cultivars. What exactly is the draw about this particular cultivar?

@JSaravia
Musa species produce inedible seeded fruit whereas edible bananas come from cultivars of seedless hybrids.

This one is a prolific producer of high quality bananas in the tropics and near-tropics, e.g. southern FL. I’m testing it’s viability in my climate.

Here’s more info about growing bananas for fruit:

Looking awesome Richard! It is one of my favorites. My next bloom should be early this spring! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Yesterday two nights ago I brought it indoors, fearing an overnight freeze. I also topped it to remove shriveled growth from our “winter” temperatures. Today it sent up a sign of appreciation!

For scale, the diameter of the cut is about 1 inch.

SH-3640%20sign%20of%20appreciation%202019-02-23

5 Likes

That leaf tip has extended about 4" now and is being followed by a cigar-roll leaf :nerd_face:

1 Like

We came home from a week at Chena Hot Springs to find a 16" leaf unfurled :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Next leaf unfurling

1 Like

And another …

2 Likes