Recipe for Black Currant Jam

Seedless Black Currant Jam recipe.

Really easy. Equal amounts of Black Currant purée to sugar and a half cup of water.

1. Rinse berries
  2. Removes leaves green and dried you can leave the stems on.
  3. Place berries in Jam Pot with 1/2 cup of water. Simmer, do not boil, simmer until the berries are totally mush, will take 20 minutes to a half hour.
  4. Get out your Miller Food Mill and place it over a large bowl.
  5. Pour in 1/2 the Cooked Black Currant and grind/turn the handle. (Read the directions that come with a food mill).
  6. Stop turning when what is left of the mixture is dry and all you see are seeds, stems and really tough skins. Throw it out.
  7. Repeat step five with second 1/2 of cooked currants.
  8. Throw out the Currant dregs and you are left with a large bowl of Black Currant purée.
  9. Measure the Currant Purée.
  10. Return the Currant liquid to the jam pot.
    11.Add an equal amount of white cane sugar.
  11. Bring the mixture to a boil then simmer until your candy thermometer reads 220F.
  12. Jar and process in a canner for 10 minutes.
21 Likes

Beautiful!

1 Like

Tried Mark still can’t get the pictures in order! Thanks!

1 Like

We have a couple used juicers we picked up at garage sales, and which we have never used. Would those work the same as your food mill, or do juicers remove too much pulp? Hopefully we will have lots of various currants ripe in another year or two.

No it will not work. Food mills can be bought at your local hardware store or Home Depot for very little $. A juicer will not remove seeds or stems.

Before I discovered food mills I would force the pulp through an ordinary sieve. Messy and cumbersome, but doable. Food mills are still pretty messy, but much, much nicer to use. I have a couple I picked up at sales for a few bucks, and prefer the one with a scraper on the outside (bottom) of the screen. Mine is a lot like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mirro-Stainless-Healthy-Cookware-3-5-Quart/dp/B0000BYDCN/ref=sr_1_12?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1531707546&sr=1-12&keywords=food+mill

Ours are motorized with a screen in them and spin centrifugally, so they would get the seeds and peels. The question would be if they leave any pulp or only end up with juice.

1 Like

I have a couple, too also a Foley. Its great!

1 Like

Nope you get plenty of pulp.

1 Like

i simmer for 45 min and leave skin , seeds and pulp. a squirt of lemon and a little less sugar. its awesome!

2 Likes

A Victorio strainer is the thing

Have one for tomatoes. The seeds of currants are much smaller!

They have a smaller-sized screen

That’s very similar to what I do except I’ve been picking out the stems and then using an immersion blender in the pot.

It looks like there are some seeds in the jam, I don’t mind them.

I have a masticating juicer and some type of food mill attachments for the kitchenaid mixer, I may try one of those one of these times with the stems on.

Is the equal measure sugar by volume or weight? I prefer measuring things by weight.

I also go until 220 on the thermometer.

Looks delicious :slight_smile:

I use my scale. Four cups of currant purée to four cups of sugar. :relaxed: It is soooo good!

Why would you prefer to measure by weight? Seems much more difficult to me!

I know you asked @murky, but if I may chime in:

If you’re used to using a scale (or, in my case, a beam balance) it’s much faster, more reliable, and consistent. I’ve always worked in traditional US measurements (pounds/ounces) which takes a little getting used to if you add on instead of emptying the scoop each time, but with metric (or a scale you can zero with a button) you can just fly.

1 Like

I can see the consistency issue, as different grinds of sugar or salt have different density… Honestly I often dont even use measuring cups when I make stuff tho, my wife hates it but my cookies have a pinch of salt, a splash of vanilla, etc!

2 Likes

I do a lot of that too when I’m cooking supper or such, but if quantities get scaled up very much I like my scale.

Full disclosure: for jams I just use cups- really easy to adjust if the sugars a bit off. But for baking I use the scale almost exclusively. And I worked for a long time as a commercial baker, where on a given day one formula or another might call for anything from a half ounce to two pounds of salt. But that’s a whole ’ nother story!

3 Likes

Yes, I agree with Mark’s comments.

When going by weight I don’t need to dirty additional spoons and cups, don’t have to clean anything between measurements, don’t have to try and scrape honey/oil/butter out of the measuring device.

Its repeatable, doesn’t matter if salt is kosher (or what brand). Don’t have to guess at what type the recipe writer intended. Don’t have to worry about the different types of gallons or ounces that have the same name but different volumes.

Is flour supposed to be sifted then measured, or measured then sifted? Scooped and swept, or poured into the cup? With weighing it doesn’t matter the order.

I also can take the shortcut and weigh the berries before they are cooked and molten hot. Then I don’t have to touch them again to determine how much sugar to use, let alone dirty some more stuff.

4 Likes