Red fleshed apple varieties from Estonia and The UK growing at Hocking Hills Orchard

Another couple of my favorite red fleshed apple varieties growing here. Blossoms and then what the fruit looks like below with images in sequencer mentioned below.

Estonian Wine Apple - Estonia, 1950. The name in Estonian is Veiniõun. In Estonian veini means wine and õun means apple. Fruit medium to large with red skin and red flesh and a nice sweet tart flavor. Large red flowers and the red is also in the xylem. Ripens in August. A cool apple to grow just for the name.

Pendragon - England. There is an article on the Telegraph (UK) website that says this variety is 800 years old. Not sure about that but it is a nice article. Medium to large fruit is exceptionally dark and ripens later than most red fleshed apples.

Derek Mills
Hocking Hills Orchard at Four Seasons Cabins in Ohio, home to 1,600 varieties of apples. And my wife says one certified nut when it comes to growing unusual and heirloom fruits.

pendragon3

12 Likes

There’s a red flesh apple tree very near the touristic center of Chester, England, I ate a few of the tree years ago, not bad for random apples off a tree, and significantly red inside, not too crispy if memory serves, but people should be certain this tree gets propagated and bred into future red apples, it’s a heritage tree after all.

As far as I remember the tree was just north of the East Gate clock-bridge, but I might be way off, I’m pretty sure it’s at least close to there.

1 Like