Red fleshed pears

Yes it is very ornamental. Dark wood, red glossy leaves when young (they eventually turn green), and red fruit. It’s a beauty

1 Like

I’ll tell you how I did in my Chinese exchange. He wanted to know what I was looking for, I sent him this photo.

![Screenshot_20230127-092452_Facebook|450x1000]

And he told me this is Raimbow and sent it to me

1 Like

that pear of mine looks more like a summer pear and this one looks a bit different. nice piece of fruit

1 Like

I grafted this one this spring and it took.
Not a lot more info. on it.

It sounds interesting. In a later year I may ask for a stick. I collect a lot of oddball fruits. Pretty sure if it was a great pear we would have known about it.

The Piqa boo pears are good right? It’s beautiful.
And is the rainbow am Asian pear or Asian cross? Looks like it.

This is the Rottkottig Frau Ostergotland graft on top of an overgrown Clapp’s Favorite, I just unwrapped the graft it’s incredible!

I think it was supposed to be a two bud graft but ended up just one.

Always wrap the whole scion with Parafilm, then I usually do just a paper shade, one or two layers and masking tape if I don’t want to have to pay attention to when I need to unwrap it.

1 Like

I was over at the Rotlottig Frau Oster tree I had planted in my neighbors yard (with his permission of course and for him to have the fruit) and picked one to see what it looked like inside. I didn’t have a knife so I just bit it and to my surprise it was sweet and seemed ripe. These are very small pears, the size of crab apples, and I was surprised by the sweetness since I had heard it was primarily a perry pear. I was definitely surpsied it was already ripe, which makes it a very early season pear. This tree is on OHxF87 and was grafted 5, 6 or maybe even 7 years ago with wood from @BobVance. There are about 50 pears on it and my neighbor will harvest them soon.

The one that was turning a little yellow had some core breakdown starting and was the sweetest, but even the green one was fairly sweet. Not a particularly juicy pear and it is fairly dense fleshed, more like a seckel before they really soften up.

No spray is used on the tree and it is quite healthy and the fruit is very clean. A dripping honey beside it has a lot of rust on the fruit, enough that it the majority of the fruit is effected so it will have to get some sprays next year to get a harvest, but it looks like the Rotlottig Frau Oster could be okay without.

5 Likes

Had a few RFO bagged, but a deer broke one off. It was still in the bag. Decided to cut in half to see if any red flesh had developed - it had! Did not look ripe to me yet though, so my gog got a little snack. He loves early drops.

2 Likes

Joey’s r.f. graft has languished and done nothing. but, I have a Bloodbirne on callery root that may fruit next summer.

1 Like

Joey’s red flesh grows like crazy for me but doesnt fruit quickly. Hopefully you didn’t get some virus infected wood. That’s usually what i suspect when i.see something growing slowly. There can also be compatibility issues in some wild callery.

I have a good taste for red-fleshed pears this year.
I found a little treasure. A beautiful blood red pear, modern, large, pink flesh. Better than Vesima or Mavrodin red.
I’m down to just over 50 redflesh pears now.

3 Likes