Red fleshed pears?

I make pear butter. Not sure those red fleshed ones would make good pear butter.

These are the red fleshed pear varities grown by the ARS GRIN program http://www.ars-grin.gov/cor/catalogs/pyrredflesh.html. Verbelu should have an appearance similar to this one http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/images/cor/pyrus/pyr0408.sectionedfruit01.jpg. This is the full description https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?accid=%20PI+449287

1 Like

TY for the links. I had never seen a red fleshed pear before. Looks interesting to try out.

2 Likes

The flavor is reportedly second rate but I bet they have their own redeeming qualities.

Probably true. I see the ones mentioned have a very short shelf life according to their description. I would be fine to have a branch or two of them grafted on a tree.

1 Like

This was an old post on red fleshed pears if anyone wants to read it Red fleshed pears

1 Like

Our biggest customers for red flashed pears are a group of Anish families who buy them for pear butter.

1 Like

odd my verblu looks nothing like that but it is very low chill and scab resistant not sure why its not red inside though.

It’s possible yours could be mislabeled if the fruit and leaves are not similar in appearance. If the outside of the fruit and leaves look similar never underestimate the weather in changing things like blush or flesh color somewhat. Do you have pictures of yours? Where did it come from? I’ve had several pears mislabeled through the years.

my fruit is similar shape but was green on the outside I only got two that I picked in september so they may have been unripe.

1 Like

Yes if the tree is young it may be to early to know what the fruit will be like yet. I’ve had pears produce several years of junk fruit before producing good pears that are normal taste so yours doing a similar thing is plausible.

Thank you for the reply! If you remember the other I would be very interested in it as well. Not to hound you, but where did you source your scion material from? Besides novelty, do you feel the red flesh contributes anything to the pear, similar to the flavoring notes that red fleshed apples have?

Bloodpeer was the one I could not remember. And different sources, most private, some USDA. And red fleshed pears are not like red fleshed apples in that red fleshed apples have a wide range of flavors and textures. For the most part once red fleshed pears are ripe you only have a few days to do something with them with the exception of Verbelu.

Now this is for our region which is SE Ohio, someone somewhere else might have a different experience.

I pick them early and we mix them with perry pears/

3 Likes

There are red fleshed varieties in Italy that are quite good. I will look into them.

3 Likes

Any updates on those Italian Red Fleshed varieties @mrsg47?

1 Like

New-old variety. Two countries I know are bringing it back; back, being the Sanguinole Pear from Italy, now referred to as Cocomerina and is also being sold in Belgium. It is a very, very old mutant pear, that much research has been taken to get them reproduced as they were. It is supposedly tasty, and sweet and crunchy. No melting texture. :yum:

2 Likes

Any source here in the US? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::smirk:

Is it meant to be crunchy like an asian pear? Sounds like it would have a lot of commercial appeal.

I don’t know, I would think its more like seckel but larger.

1 Like

I can’t seem to find a single company that sells red-fleshed pears here in the USA. I’ve contacted USDA-ARS and am awaiting news from the “pear curator”, but anyone know of any sources? Worst case, I’ll be talking to Derek (thank god for him) regarding scion wood, but I’d like to see if possible I could skip some years of growth.

1 Like