Red fleshed pears?

Bloodpeer was the one I could not remember. And different sources, most private, some USDA. And red fleshed pears are not like red fleshed apples in that red fleshed apples have a wide range of flavors and textures. For the most part once red fleshed pears are ripe you only have a few days to do something with them with the exception of Verbelu.

Now this is for our region which is SE Ohio, someone somewhere else might have a different experience.

I pick them early and we mix them with perry pears/

3 Likes

There are red fleshed varieties in Italy that are quite good. I will look into them.

3 Likes

Any updates on those Italian Red Fleshed varieties @mrsg47?

1 Like

New-old variety. Two countries I know are bringing it back; back, being the Sanguinole Pear from Italy, now referred to as Cocomerina and is also being sold in Belgium. It is a very, very old mutant pear, that much research has been taken to get them reproduced as they were. It is supposedly tasty, and sweet and crunchy. No melting texture. :yum:

2 Likes

Any source here in the US? :face_with_raised_eyebrow::smirk:

Is it meant to be crunchy like an asian pear? Sounds like it would have a lot of commercial appeal.

I donā€™t know, I would think its more like seckel but larger.

1 Like

I canā€™t seem to find a single company that sells red-fleshed pears here in the USA. Iā€™ve contacted USDA-ARS and am awaiting news from the ā€œpear curatorā€, but anyone know of any sources? Worst case, Iā€™ll be talking to Derek (thank god for him) regarding scion wood, but Iā€™d like to see if possible I could skip some years of growth.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen any for sale anywhere either. I do have Rotkottig frau Ostergotland grafted to my Harrow sweet in a few places curtesy of @BobVance. I think this is second leaf since grafting and no flowers yet. I canā€™t remember if Bob got any fruit from his yet.

Anyway, I see you are in PA, so if you happen to be coming through the Arlington, VA area at any point Iā€™d be happy to cut a piece off for you to use for bud wood. If you have any pears currently growing, maybe budding over the summer will get you a little further along than waiting for scion wood next year. Also, several people have had luck grafting scions in the summer as well, so you could try both.

Iā€™m not sure if this is a variety you are interested in, but happy to share if you want it.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still not convinced they exist. Think about it: Have you ever seen anybody here post a picture of one? Weā€™ve got cherries of the rio grande, obscure mulberry varieties, and pears galore, but somehow nobody has this very special kind of pear.

Red-fleshed pears are the bigfoot of the fruit world.

1 Like

Red fleshed pears have been widely reported in Italy and numerous photos exist. The color is mottled rather than solid, like this one - image

The Chinese are supposed to be working with the Italian varieties to develop a pear with a more solid red flesh.

4 Likes

They are also grown and sold in Belgium.

3 Likes

Buckle yourself in for quite a waitā€¦I grafted it in 2013 and this is the first year it has fruit. And that fruit is a single cluster. I thinned it to 2 (I think) and when I did, I noticed that the tiny fruitlets were red. So, at least I think itā€™s the right variety. I got the wood from Maple Valley Orchards.

3 Likes

Bob,
What a rootstock or a pear tree you grafted it on?

1 Like

I will certainly take you up on that offer Zendog when my farm slows down enough that
I could pay you a visit. Thanks for being so kind, its certainly appreciated when trying to track down these ā€œliving legendsā€.

1 Like

It is on a Honeysweet on OHxF 333 that I got from Cummins in 2012.

1 Like

Not to put pressure on you or anything, Bob, but we are looking forward to reading your report/review on the Frau pear later this year.

2 Likes

Yes, I canā€™t wait to learn what they actually taste like. Bob may need to station himself out by the tree with an air rifle to protect those 2 lonely pears from squirrels and other evils.

From the photos in the USDA database, they look rather small and I think I read somewhere that they might be more of a perry pear than something you would enjoy taking a bite out of. But it is all a mystery until someone here actually tastes one.

:smiley: OK, here is a pic, that I took a few days ago:

This one is slightly sweet with no noticeable acid and no astringency at all. The meat is on the drier side, but not mealy. The skin/peel is thick and slightly woody, but still edible.There are some small stone cells around the seed core. The seed core itself is chewy (spitter). Flavor is pear-like with no berry-like flavors typical for the red fleshed apples. Overall taste I would say is fair to good, especially considering that itā€™s an early season pear.

8 Likes

@Hristo What variety is that and how did you acquire it? USDA ARS dropped the ball and never returned my emails to the pear curator :/.

1 Like