Red foliage in fruits such as pears and apples = red flesh?

Yes.

Though perhaps there may be rare exceptions.

Many of the wonderful varieties we read about are from a chance seedling. It will be exciting to see what fruit emerges and think about what the cross might have been. Your persistence and patience will pay off!

3 Likes

Likely pollinated by a red ‘flowering crab’ ornamental tree…but the result could still be interesting for sure.

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly the same answer I got on another forum in 2018 or 2019… :relaxed:… But hey, you’ll never know how the fruit turns out - size, taste, texture :relaxed:

2 Likes

I went to look at my red Asian pear. The leafs turn green as they mature. But the fruits’ skin are red

5 Likes

Wanted to link this from a recent thread Premp009 pear

There are studies on these types of red colored varities. Im interested because it is an interspecific hybrid Photosynthetic Performance and Vegetative Growth in a New Red Leaf Pear: Comparison of Scion Genotypes Using a Complex, Grafted-Plant System - PMC

Probably hobbyists are not going to be able to obtain this pear for some years…
but you say it’s red fleshed?

1 Like

@BlueBerry

Not red fleshed but red skinned. The government is interested this time " Photosynthetic Performance and Vegetative Growth in a New Red Leaf Pear: Comparison of Scion Genotypes Using a Complex, Grafted-Plant System" . Red foliage is something i suspected many years ago as being different in how it’s Photosynthetic.

A pear tree having red foliage–likely to be in demand for landscaping purposes in
a similar manner purple leaf plums or Canada red cherry trees are used.

2 Likes

@Henrik , how is that red leafed apple of yours today?

My red stemmed, red veined, reddish leafed Lucy glow seedling is doing well. Its siblings have all greened up, but it is holding its flair. Nice red growth still. These are all Lucy glow seedlings from the cores of my Lucy glow grocery store apples this past fall.

4 Likes

Might as well throw my seedling find into the mix. The mother tree was a feral roadside apple, with no red pigment. This was it’s foliage mid growing season last year. I’m going to try and get it grafted out in a couple places this year so I don’t lose it. I’ve had to dig it up and heal it in the last 2 winters as it was growing in my nursery beds that needed to be dug. I need to give it a permanent home.

4 Likes

Well - right now they are in winter storage, and leafless :rofl:

But last year I had problems with a load of apricot seedlings. Being desperate, I sprayed the apricot seedlings with a Iron and micronutrient fertilizer. At the same time, I decided to give my other pots a spray too, including my apple tree seedling.

Usually, every year, just before fall, my red leaved apple tree loses most of it’s red color - for about a month - until it takes on a bright red fall color again.

Well, after spraying with the micronutrient and iron solution last year, the red color disappeared immediately. This may have been coincidence, but I’m very interested in how the tree will develop leaves this year. If it’ll start out darkly green-reddish, or if it’ll be green. It may be, that the tree have a genetic condition, that inhibits it’s ability to absorb some nutrients :person_shrugging:

I’ll be sure to update, once I know more. But, in my location, it is not until may they start putting out leaves. :blush:

4 Likes

Thanks for the update. And hopes to warmer weather soon. :sun_with_face:

1 Like