Reluctant Fall Deciduous fruit trees

12/24/2018

Hood Pear

Katy Apricot

Desert Dawn Nectarine

I had a few of those this year, and we had snow early. I spent a few minutes in the nursery bed digging the bent over tops out of the snow. At least I know the graft unions are strong!

1 Like

I have Antonovka and Niedwetzkyana apple tree leaves that are redder than a blazing fire…and we’ve had mid-20’s on and off for 7 weeks or so now. Record rainfall slowed things form going to “sleep” around Kentucky. (I expect they’ll be OK. Time will tell.)

1 Like

Have you had any fruit off of your Niedwetzkyana? I was considering planting one, but have heard it’s not really for eating…

1 Like

Yes.
And the fruit won’t please most people for fresh eating. Almost size of tennis ball or a small red delicious.
It has high tannins, and dry flesh…sort of like eating a white oak acorn. Ripens in August or last week July.
But, jelly, dried apples, pies (looks like strawberry/rhubarb pie)…ok.
The fall color is orange to orange-red…and in spring leaves are burgundy…blossoms are reddish pink…so a nice tree for a residential yard.
My plans are to do some crossing…with the hopes of coming up with something that will be red fleshed but also more tasty. That will take some time.
Meanwhile, I’ve been obtaining some other scionwood of red fleshed varieties.

2 Likes